DW5002AD4 conversion to straps. How difficult is this?

Blisco

Reaction score
I recently replaced my trusty (12years) 5002 pedal with the newest version. Although it feels great and familiar, something is slightly different to me. I'm thinking the swiveling spring post or the bearings are the difference now. Anyways, I grew up on a Slingerland Tempo King strap pedal and fondly remember the great feel and how my technique exploded when I got it (as a 15 year old pedal no less).

I know DW will sell me the cam and straps to do the conversion but it appears to be tough to knock the bearings out and loosen all the set screws. I might ruin a new pedal:shock:

Does anyone have first hand experience doing this kind of surgery? What to watch out for?

My other option would be to just buy a Pearl Redline strap pedal, get all the fancy cam pieces and adjustments and run with that. Twenty years ago, I was playing the first gen Eliminator strap drive and always like it's feel and response. Everyone says the Redline is even better.

tl:dr Potentially butcher a new DW or just get the Redline and decide from there?

dsop

Reaction score
DW pedals are nice, but not friendly to anyone who wants to A) modify them b) adjust them C) customize them. If you like them stock, you're good to go.
Go for the Redline.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing how the redline strap pedal compares to the DW5000 strap model,,, Similar cams but the redline strap is much stiffer and they are 2 different designs.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DW pedals are nice, but not friendly to anyone who wants to A) modify them b) adjust them C) customize them. If you like them stock, you're good to go.
Go for the Redline.
I actively "hack" my DW 5000s. They're easy if you don't mind some hex screws. I've modified two from chain to strap.

Attachments

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I converted my single-chain 5000 to strap a couple of years ago. It wasn't too difficult. I'd found a post online detailing the procedure, which I found to be accurate. I wish I could give credit to the original author, but I can't remember where I found it, but here it is:

As for the "nuts and bolts" of it:
-- As you pointed out, the strap cams are only about $12. It comes with the drum-key set-screw to fasten the strap (I added a washer to give it a little more surface area). The strap cam fastens to the hexagonal shaft with an allen set screw.
-- I bought the Gibraltar Kevlar strap (about $10). I don't think this thing will give out anytime soon. The Gibraltar strap is slightly too wide to fit the DW channels on both the cam and footboard -- but it was relatively easy to trim down with a sharp pair of scissors.
-- Screw and nut that attaches the chain or strap to the footboard: works for both. You can add an extra washer if you like (because the chain is much thicker than the strap), or buy a shorter screw at the hardware store. Mine required a screwdriver and a 3/8 wrench.

-- So, to remove the cam:
  1. Unfasten pedal spring from hub.
  2. Remove the chain from the footboard.
  3. Loosen the beater hub set screw (mine is a 7/16 wrench, but I'm not sure if that is original).
  4. Loosen chain cam set screw (allen wrench).
  5. Holding onto the beater hub for grip, loosen and remove the nut on the left side of the shaft (the side opposite the spring). Mine uses the same 7-16 wrench as the beater hub.
  6. Slowly remove the shaft from the spring side. Slide off the chain cam and install the strap cam.
  7. Put everything back together and tighten it up in reverse order.
To facilitate quick cam changes, I leave the chain attached to the chain cam and the strap attached to the strap cam. BTW, this is also an excellent time to remove the bearings and clean/lube them, if you feel it's necessary.

20191203_220457.jpg

feelyat

Reaction score
I just converted my DW 5000 (single) to a strap. It was not particularly difficult, but there were some, uhh, challenges getting the bearings out. As others have said, DW does not make it easy, though they make it possible. It may have helped that my pedal is 10 years old, so (a) I'm not ruining a new pedal, I'm ruining an old one, and (b) the loctite was fairly brittle so I didn't have to do anything drastic like heating it up.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've converted all of my 5000 pedals from chain to strap drive (like three or four of them) plus I have one that I bought new that was factory built as a strap drive. Once the cam is switched out there was no difference between them. In my case rather than buying new cams from DW I used old cams off some broken Gretsch or Camco pedals. They fit right on since the basis of the 5000 was the old Fleetfoot/Camco/Gretsch design.

Radio King has detailed the method pretty well above. I know on my first one I really had no idea what I was doing but after a bit of investigation I managed to get it apart and back together without too much trouble.

I took this one a step further swapping out the footplate too. I did that first and then later switched it to strap drive as well. If you still use an old Camco or Gretsch you can swap out the hinge to a modern DW too.
Gretsch workshop pedal.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts