Dynasonic snare wire replacement - ad nauseum

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The original 19-strand wires on my Dynasonic are still in great shape, but I do have a brand new set of Puresound wires for backup. I only recently became aware of the Fat Cat wires. For the price, I'd be willing to give them a try!

-mark

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why would you assume that a product you're not familiar with is automatically "garbage"? How about asking, "Has anyone tried these yet?" Or, how about this - they're $15.00. Give them a try and let us know.

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ARGuy said:
Why would you assume that a product you're not familiar with is automatically "garbage"? How about asking, "Has anyone tried these yet?" Or, how about this - they're $15.00. Give them a try and let us know.
Poor choice of words ... what I meant to say was if the Pursounds are demanding such a high price, and that brand is recognized as a quality brand, could something at less than half the price be worth trying. I'm not poor, but I've purchased some Gibraltar snares for other SD and threw them in the garbage shortly thereafter

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
idrum4fun said:
The original 19-strand wires on my Dynasonic are still in great shape, but I do have a brand new set of Puresound wires for backup. I only recently became aware of the Fat Cat wires. For the price, I'd be willing to give them a try!

-mark
+1
I've been playing my Dyna for 35 years and the wires on mine are still in great shape too. If I ever needed to replace them I'd be willing to try the Fat Cats.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Radio King said:
Puresounds are highly overrated, especially the more recent formula.
+1. Ridiculously overpriced for what they are.
As is the Dyna-Sonic, IMHO.

I still have the original wires on my wood and brass Dynas, but also have some Puresounds as backups. The originals are 19 strands (Wow! Rogers thought it REALLY made a difference!) The Puresounds are 16 strands (Wow! Puresound thought it REALLY made a difference!)

Note that I'll have both sets of wires for a long time because all my Dynas sit in the closet. They are collector snares, and from a player's standpoint, they don't hold a candle to the Powertones from the same era, IMHO. Just my .02, of course, and I respect the Dyna-Sonic fans out there.

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
tommykat1 said:
Puresounds are highly overrated, especially the more recent formula.
+1. Ridiculously overpriced for what they are.
As is the Dyna-Sonic, IMHO.

I still have the original wires on my wood and brass Dynas, but also have some Puresounds as backups. The originals are 19 strands (Wow! Rogers thought it REALLY made a difference!) The Puresounds are 16 strands (Wow! Puresound thought it REALLY made a difference!)

Note that I'll have both sets of wires for a long time because all my Dynas sit in the closet. They are collector snares, and from a player's standpoint, they don't hold a candle to the Powertones from the same era, IMHO. Just my .02, of course, and I respect the Dyna-Sonic fans out there.
+1. However I will add that I my 6.5" 7 line dyna has a lot more character/body and sounds better to my ears than my 5" dynas, either wood or COB. The puresound wires tend to be a bit heavier and darker which kind of defeats the purpose on a dyna.

blue-onyx

Reaction score
to tommycat: i must disagree with your statement that dynasonics are collector snares. i think they are great sounding. i play a dynasonic out all the time. what i have found is that you must tune them just right. you also must have very good sticking technique. because this drum will amplify any sloppiness or inconsistencies. it will also showcase your precision and your chops like no other. i would hazard a guess that many who disparage this drum may actually be lacking in the technique departnent.

just saying

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
blue-onyx said:
to tommycat: i must disagree with your statement that dynasonics are collector snares. i think they are great sounding. i play a dynasonic out all the time. what i have found is that you must tune them just right. you also must have very good sticking technique. because this drum will amplify any sloppiness or inconsistencies. it will also showcase your precision and your chops like no other. i would hazard a guess that many who disparage this drum may actually be lacking in the technique departnent.

just saying
Ooh, ouch, them's fightin' words!

I disagree with your assessment, or the inference that I "don't have good sticking technique." I'm 64 years old and have played my COB Dyna-Sonic since new in 1967, and it never was as good as other snares I prefer. The Dynas certainly do not require any additional level of skill to play--that's part of the bullsh!t myth. And my assessment has nothing to do with technique; it has to do with sound. The Dyna simply does not have the range of expression of other snares. The Dyna is simply "dry." If that's your bag, great.

I have tested them because I own them--wood and COB, Powertone and Dyna. If the Dyna-Sonic was as good as its myth, it would be the snare we'd be hearing on all the great albums through the years. I believe that snare is a certain Ludwig model.

Me, I prefer the Rogers Powertone, specifically the Cleveland 3 ply from 1964-ish.

Here are my two 1964 models. The Powertone wins.

Just sayin.

DynaPowertone.jpg

Davo

Reaction score
I put Fat Cat wires on the bridge of my '72 5"x14" COB DynaSonic and it sounds great !
Can't beat 'em especially for the price point .

Last edited:

pgm554

Reaction score
Just as an FYI,I bought a Dyna a few years ago without the snare undercarriage for $100.
So for the hell of it I used Fat Cat pitched wires and the sound was pretty impressive.
About a year or two ago I bit the bullet and got a replacement bottom hoop and carriage from Big Bang distribution.
It also sounded pretty good.
The difference between the two seems to be minimal.

Fat Cat No cradle:

Snare cradle:

jansara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just as an FYI,I bought a Dyna a few years ago without the snare undercarriage for $100.
So for the hell of it I used Fat Cat pitched wires and the sound was pretty impressive.
About a year or two ago I bit the bullet and got a replacement bottom hoop and carriage from Big Bang distribution.
It also sounded pretty good.
The difference between the two seems to be minimal.

Fat Cat No cradle:

Snare cradle:
Don't take this personally, but the Fat Cat no cradle sounds awful. Neither of the two sound anywhere nearly as good as they could/should sound but if you're digging them, that's what counts...