E kit with a good hi hat?

mangosmoothie

Reaction score
So I'm back in a situation I need a low volume solution.

I once had a Roland TD04. I liked a lot of things about it... The 3 zone cymbals were fun, I liked how easy it was to play to music, the endless possibility of drum sounds, click track built in, etc. but the hi hat pedal attached to nothing never felt right and it just wasn't sensitive enough for what I wanted. I also wasn't a huge fan of the rubber tom pads.

I ended up selling it, and used the $ to buy silent stroke heads and L80s for my acoustic kit. This was ok but I was never a fan of how the drums sounded. I did really like the cymbals, though.

Then I moved and enjoyed acoustic life again.

Well now I moved again and am back in need of a quiet kit. I tried an Alesis Strike Pro and Roland TD17kvx? at GC. They were the only e kits out with an actual hi-hat resembling the real thing. I actually tried them at several locations because I thought the hi hats were pretty bad on both kits. The pedal feel was great but they didn't react fast enough to open close. I also really don't like how it's full open, mild slosh, full shut. Seemed like no gradual in-between. Is this just a reality of electric hi hats? Are there kits with better e hi hats than what I'm looking at? Yamaha any better? Possible that all 4 GC's I visited had the hi hat set up poorly? Another hi hat solution altogether?

I enjoyed the kits otherwise but the hi hat is probably a deal breaker if there isn't a better solution here.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
" Yamaha any better?"
- def worth you playing

"Possible that all 4 GC's I visited had the hi hat set up poorly?"
- very likely (a) not setup at all and (b) def not setup for your playing. It takes "tuning".

Another hi hat solution altogether?
- I have moving hats that look like hats. I also have separate hat controllers and fixed pads. The latter is - IMHO - much better. The movement / stroke length / subtlety in a separate hat controller is greater than the limited switch travel in moving hats where the switch/controller it built into the pad.

mangosmoothie

Reaction score
can you link the hat controller and fixed pads that you have? Will these plug and play with most e kit modules?

ryanscott6

Reaction score
The hi-hat is the worst thing about edrums. The TD-17kvx uses the VH-10 hi-hat. I like it better than the separated combo but it's still not ideal. Roland makes a VH-13 hi-hat that is better but still a bit lacking. Roland has recently come out with a digital snare and ride that is suppose to be much better than the piezo based counterparts. My guess is they'll eventually make a digital hi-hat as well.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm back in a situation I need a low volume solution.

I once had a Roland TD04. I liked a lot of things about it... The 3 zone cymbals were fun, I liked how easy it was to play to music, the endless possibility of drum sounds, click track built in, etc. but the hi hat pedal attached to nothing never felt right and it just wasn't sensitive enough for what I wanted. I also wasn't a huge fan of the rubber tom pads.

I ended up selling it, and used the $ to buy silent stroke heads and L80s for my acoustic kit. This was ok but I was never a fan of how the drums sounded. I did really like the cymbals, though.

Then I moved and enjoyed acoustic life again.

Well now I moved again and am back in need of a quiet kit. I tried an Alesis Strike Pro and Roland TD17kvx? at GC. They were the only e kits out with an actual hi-hat resembling the real thing. I actually tried them at several locations because I thought the hi hats were pretty bad on both kits. The pedal feel was great but they didn't react fast enough to open close. I also really don't like how it's full open, mild slosh, full shut. Seemed like no gradual in-between. Is this just a reality of electric hi hats? Are there kits with better e hi hats than what I'm looking at? Yamaha any better? Possible that all 4 GC's I visited had the hi hat set up poorly? Another hi hat solution altogether?

I enjoyed the kits otherwise but the hi hat is probably a deal breaker if there isn't a better solution here.
Talk to my buddy, Al Adinolfi. He's literally Mr. E-Drum.
Find him here --> Boom Theory

Elvis

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
E-hats are tough. If you go with the controller foot pedal and fixed hat you lose the feel of a real hi hat stand and, depending on how you play, it can take some adjusting to get a decent half open sound. On the other hand, ginormous rubber cymbals mounted on hit hat stand are nothing like a set of nice light hi hat cymbals. Even the heaviest metal hi hats weigh less than rubber hats, so you have suspension issues, rebound issues, calibration issues...

I played a fixed hat with controller pedal for years, and got used to it. Now I have my first "real" hi hat stand with the Roland VH-10. I like it a lot, and have gotten used to the feel, but it's still very different from metal hats. Plus, I use it with a Pearl Mimic Pro module, which has a far better set up and calibration than Roland.

So, I agree with electrodrummer... most likely the hats you tried at GC were not set up properly. It took me several days of playing, tweaking, playing, tweaking to get this where I wanted it. I doubt the GC boys did more than throw the hats on the rack and plug them in.

One other thing. The VH-10 is a single hat that works off a controller module mounted beneath it, and it's significantly lighter than the VH-11, which has helped with the rebound issues.

73Rogers

Reaction score
The hi-hat is the worst thing about edrums. The TD-17kvx uses the VH-10 hi-hat. I like it better than the separated combo but it's still not ideal. Roland makes a VH-13 hi-hat that is better but still a bit lacking. Roland has recently come out with a digital snare and ride that is suppose to be much better than the piezo based counterparts. My guess is they'll eventually make a digital hi-hat as well.
I just bought a TD-27KV kit with the digital snare and ride in June. They are great in terms of feel - they play like "real" drums/cymbals. There is a 3rd USB port on the module, so maybe the HH is next?

The kit came with the VH-10 hats. The problem I have with them is they are not consistent. Sometimes they trigger, other times not. I have this problem with the cymbals as well, but not as often.

As nice as the snare feels, I can't get the sound I want out of it. I find navigating the menus on the TD-27 to be cumbersome and it seems like some of the settings don't really make changes I can hear.

This kit replaces a TD-3 kit I bought used on Craigslist for $400 over 10 years ago.
As nice as the snare/ride pads are, I don't feel like it's worth $3000. I've put off selling the TD-3 kit because I'm thinking about selling the new kit instead.

My advice would be to look for a used kit. There's not much that can go wrong with them. As long as you can try it out and make sure the pads all trigger, that's really all there is to it.