E Pedal

greggp

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a lot of weird stuff, and here's one of the weirdest pieces: my E-Pedal. I've owned this pedal since 1990. It's made by the company that makes Axis pedals and hardware, and they told me it was their first product. They made about 350 of them, but the product never took off. They said that drummers never took to the spring arrangement, maybe because it didn't feel right or maybe because it didn't look right (drummers tend to be kind of conservative about stuff like that, I guess). In any case, it sure looks like the design is pretty much the same as the practice bass drum pedal that's on the market now.

I've been to Engineered Percussion's shop a couple of times, where I learned about the thing, and they replaced the detonator for me (it's the part that sits under the felt and strikes the trigger). It's very fast, but you have to carefully dial in the sensitivity to avoid multiple triggering.

Anyone else have an E-Pedal? I wonder what it's worth?

Attachments

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks almost identical to my FatKat. Which I think they also no longer make.

Both mine and yours look pretty much indestructible. And are still a very useful items for someone who wants to tuck a trigger under their FT for example. The fatkats show up on ebay from time to time for about 150

greggp

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got this pedal when I picked up a Drumkat. The Drumkat was able to "learn" the pedal dynamics very well. It probably worked better with the Drumkat than it does with my SPD-20.

Robinsky

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the look of the latest Axis trigger pedal but the price is scary. It looks like the little hammer is hitting a piezo disc with a metal cover. I have been looking on youtube to see if anyone has been able to come up with a diy version but no luck so far.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a lot of weird stuff, and here's one of the weirdest pieces: my E-Pedal. I've owned this pedal since 1990. It's made by the company that makes Axis pedals and hardware, and they told me it was their first product. They made about 350 of them, but the product never took off. They said that drummers never took to the spring arrangement, maybe because it didn't feel right or maybe because it didn't look right (drummers tend to be kind of conservative about stuff like that, I guess). In any case, it sure looks like the design is pretty much the same as the practice bass drum pedal that's on the market now.

I've been to Engineered Percussion's shop a couple of times, where I learned about the thing, and they replaced the detonator for me (it's the part that sits under the felt and strikes the trigger). It's very fast, but you have to carefully dial in the sensitivity to avoid multiple triggering.

Anyone else have an E-Pedal? I wonder what it's worth?
Found this thread looking for a pic of this pedal. This was the only hit I could find. I had a pair of these bought when they first came out, 88 or 89. I had built an e-kit out of Remo practice pads, and needed some pedals.

I honestly never got used to the feel, and switched to a DW5000 trigger pedal shortly thereafter. Much better suited to me.

I also remember struggling with a Roland trigger module. I could never dial that thing in. Missed and double triggers - really disliked that box and it soured me on Midi for a bit. I saw an advertisement for the Aphex Impluse, being endorsed by Jim Keltner. Well good on Jim, because that thing was a dream - night and day difference from that Roland module. Definitely worth the extra money.

Did you ever sell this piece? It probably has more value as a collector's item than a usable pedal. Such a strange feel.

Latest posts