header.nohb.html

EAD10 and live applications

jashoup

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey that all looks really cool. I figured the BT-1 would work. Time to go shopping!

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The BT-1 will work great, but you won’t get the incredible trigger rejection like you do on Roland modules. On the Roland modules, the BT-1 uses a piezo combined with an FSR ribbon so that it only fires when actually hit. On the Yamaha, it’ll just see it as a standard piezo. So it’ll work, but I wouldn’t recommend mounting it on the rim of an acoustic drum. If you keep it on its own stand, it should be fine.

jashoup

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The BT-1 will work great, but you won’t get the incredible trigger rejection like you do on Roland modules. On the Roland modules, the BT-1 uses a piezo combined with an FSR ribbon so that it only fires when actually hit. On the Yamaha, it’ll just see it as a standard piezo. So it’ll work, but I wouldn’t recommend mounting it on the rim of an acoustic drum. If you keep it on its own stand, it should be fine.

Good to know. Would mounting it on a cymbal stand cause issues?

Is there a similar product out there from another manufacturer that would interface better with the Yamaha brain?

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is there a similar product out there from another manufacturer that would interface better with the Yamaha brain?
On a cymbal stand is generally okay - you'll need to adjust sensitivity and threshold like with a normal trigger, but it should be workable.

Yamaha doesn't offer anything with the functionality of the BT-1, unfortunately.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Both of mine are mounted off of stands (hi hat and cymbal stand), and it's all good. The one on the cymbal stand has other stuff mounted off of it, such as a X hat. That stand bounces a bit, due to all of the stuff on it; ride cymbal, X hat and BT-1 - totally fine. No mis-triggering.

I'm not worried about needing a lot of functionality, or I would have bought something like an Yamaha xp80. For me, the BT-1 is a single hit pad - that's it; hand claps, tambourine, cowbell, 808, etc. The BT-1 is super small, lightweight, easy to move, place anywhere around the kit, etc.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
On a cymbal stand is generally okay - you'll need to adjust sensitivity and threshold like with a normal trigger, but it should be workable.

Yamaha doesn't offer anything with the functionality of the BT-1, unfortunately.
If you can find it, the BP-80.

Also the trigger on the mic module is not a trigger as we knownitn

Its advised to use a seprate trigger if you really want to get the most out of the EAD.

I personally never had issues with balance issues.

The only thing that doesn’t get picked up enough is a second floor tom

This is a great group for the EAD with almost direct feedback from Simon Edgoose who not only does all the promo and videos for the DTX side of Yamaha, he also works closely with the design team for updates.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3551649494856296/?ref=share

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve used the 80 plus Pintec dingbat and nimrod triggers

1A263EE4-51B1-4BCE-B73F-EBDB403963BA.jpeg
0232F38E-7001-4457-B86F-ED3D43C109C0.jpeg
A95C058D-E7E2-4272-B5C6-D067C55DB5D5.png

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Btw if you really want a good bar trigger.

The Pole Pad and Pole Pad pro are still the best in the game.

1660078229051.jpeg

1660078255642.jpeg

They use FRS sensing just like the Kat product, so you never have cross talk (one sound accidentaly triggered by hitting the other pad) regardless setting and make of the module.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can find it, the BP-80.

Also the trigger on the mic module is not a trigger as we knownitn

Its advised to use a seprate trigger if you really want to get the most out of the EAD.

I personally never had issues with balance issues.

The only thing that doesn’t get picked up enough is a second floor tom

This is a great group for the EAD with almost direct feedback from Simon Edgoose who not only does all the promo and videos for the DTX side of Yamaha, he also works closely with the design team for updates.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3551649494856296/?ref=share
Sorry, I meant the specific combination of FSR + piezo, allowing for direct-to-rim mounting on the BT-1.

The BP-80, while fantastic, doesn't offer that.

It's a trigger on the mic module, but it's triggering off the bass hoop, which can be a bit hit-or-miss, depending on the hoops + heads in use.

The Pole Pad is great, but because it's FSR, you have to be careful with compatibility - not all modules can use it, and even on the ones that can, not all inputs can support it.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant the specific combination of FSR + piezo, allowing for direct-to-rim mounting on the BT-1.

The BP-80, while fantastic, doesn't offer that.

It's a trigger on the mic module, but it's triggering off the bass hoop, which can be a bit hit-or-miss, depending on the hoops + heads in use.

The Pole Pad is great, but because it's FSR, you have to be careful with compatibility - not all modules can use it, and even on the ones that can, not all inputs can support it.
In the case of the pole pad the fsr is basically class complient, so it should work with every module as it is powered by a battery.

Hideousdivinity

Reaction score
Revisiting this thread after a summer's worth of gigs with the EAD10. I ended up buying a small Yamaha mixer, and I attached the mixer and the EAD10 to a pedal board to make one hell of a killer drum monitor setup. It was pricy, especially if you consider the bucks that had already been dropped on IEM's, but so, so worth it. I take a feed from a nearby floor monitor and blend that signal with the EAD10 output in the mixer, and drive my IEM's from the mixer. Of course, I could usually get my own specific monitor mix, but it's really almost not necessary and it's just easier to plug into the main monitors, especially when time is an issue. Between what already bleeds into the EAD10 mics from the room, I usually just need a little bit of whatever is in the monitors to fill out the details.

Anyway, the real reason I'm posting now is that I'm considering adding a trigger or two to my setup in order to use the additional trigger inputs on the EAD10. I'm kinda thinking the Roland BT-1 would be perfect for what I want (trigger hand claps or similar short samples) but I'm not sure if the Roland trigger with play nice with the EAD10. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or alternate products that will do the trick? I don't really need a full "pad."

Thanks,

JS
Do you have a pic of said setup? That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, for gigs. I have inears that I use in my rehearsal room as well as a behringer x air 18, but that definitely wouldn't be feasible to carry that out to small gigs. So I normally just bring my in ears and plug them into a Berhinger p1 and plug the feed from the wedge by the kit in which it always sounds horrible lol. Especially when you're dealing with an incompetent sound guy just as well as time constraints. Nevertheless I remember seeing a video on what I believe you are talking about and I'm definitely hyped to see if this is exactly what I need and want.

jashoup

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you have a pic of said setup? That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, for gigs. I have inears that I use in my rehearsal room as well as a behringer x air 18, but that definitely wouldn't be feasible to carry that out to small gigs. So I normally just bring my in ears and plug them into a Berhinger p1 and plug the feed from the wedge by the kit in which it always sounds horrible lol. Especially when you're dealing with an incompetent sound guy just as well as time constraints. Nevertheless I remember seeing a video on what I believe you are talking about and I'm definitely hyped to see if this is exactly what I need and want.

I'll do better than that! Here's the video that inspired me to make my rig:

I essentially copied what this guy put together, and it's incredibly fabulous. I can't overstate how much of a difference it has made to my comfort level on gigs this summer. And you can use it anywhere, anytime, with zero reliance on anyone else or any outboard gear.

Hideousdivinity

Reaction score
Ha that's the same video I found thereafter replying to this thread. But yea it just seems foolproof. Yea a bit pricey but I believe it's totally worth it so I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. Thanks for replying btw.

jashoup

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ha that's the same video I found thereafter replying to this thread. But yea it just seems foolproof. Yea a bit pricey but I believe it's totally worth it so I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. Thanks for replying btw.
Glad to help. Yes the setup was not cheap but 300% worth every penny.

jpmichaels

Reaction score
Hi - It's a little hard to tell from the pics - did you mount the BT-1's on separate stands? I tried mounting with the rim mount clamps - which puts them in a pretty good position near my toms, but the mounts have no isolation, so when I hit the BT-1 - the tom rings. Actually - I think I also tried one on attached to the post for the tom mounts, and that didn't help.
Thanks - John Paul