EAD10 mic

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I probably won't be using my EAD anymore, as I'm going to start mic'ing up a new kit.
Would I be able to use the EAD10 mic for anything else? A room mic?
I don't have very good mics, but for my second set ever, and 1st time mic'ing my own kit, they sound good to me. It's the sure 7 pack. I believe SM Beta 58 snare, PGA56's for toms, and the kick mic that comes with it.
Anyway just curious if I can use it, or maybe get rid or the ead. Not selling it as of now anyway.
Any suggestions for an affordable room mic, or underside snare?

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kind of - you can get a mono mic out of it by connecting an XLR-M to TRS cable and enabling phantom power.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kind of - you can get a mono mic out of it by connecting an XLR-M to TRS cable and enabling phantom power.
Thanks! I really know nothing about mics. So, for a room, hang it over the kit, in the bsss?I figure it's got to have some purpose

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I really know nothing about mics. So, for a room, hang it over the kit, in the bsss?I figure it's got to have some purpose
I'd experiment with it. They're not great microphones, so I wouldn't expect a lot, but it's worth playing around a bit and see if you can get anything useful out of it. Any reason why you're not just using it with the EAD module still?

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd experiment with it. They're not great microphones, so I wouldn't expect a lot, but it's worth playing around a bit and see if you can get anything useful out of it. Any reason why you're not just using it with the EAD module still?
Yes. I used it for about a year. I really wanted to give it a fair shot, but it has too many issues to give a good quality recording.
If playing 1 tom, with the ride where another tom would go (my preferred set up), all you're going to hear is the ride, and bass.
You can adjust the volume of music separate from the volume of your drums. That made it next to impossible to hear the song, groove, or anything else. For me anyway. I did figure out, if ya go through the headphone line, you can take most of the drums out of the mix
On my ipad, the app Rec n Share would either just crash, but worst of all, the click track was almost always off.
The bass drum was always too loud (but learning to control dynamics was a positive)
If using 1 tom up. I'd usually go 14-16 the tom blocks the mic from picking up crashes almost completely at time.

Oh, and I guess I should mention that I picked up mics, Studio one 5, and all that. After months, I'm finally recording to a degree. I really got into it for about 3 weeks now on, and off

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got 2 vids up on video media. Heartbreaker Zep came out prety good for EAD, anf the 2nd take of hold the line 2nd take came out ok. I'm working through some injury stuff.
I'll give it some thought for sure. I have a brand new never used trigger, and still 8 month extended warranty.
If i decided I'll pm you.
If the mic was any good, id usd it as room mic, or something

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a bulky, expensive piece of gear to have around just for a mediocre mic, and I'd probably stop using it after getting a set of mics. I'd sell the ead10. You could get another decent mic or two for the money, like at least two SM57's or a good room mic, like a used Audio Technica 4040 which can be used for many other things.

flurbs

Reaction score
Don't use something half assed for a job it wasn't designed to do. Sell the EAD, buy other mics that will do the job you're looking for.

Any suggestions for an affordable room mic, or underside snare?
Do you mean room mic, or do you mean overhead?

For underside snare, start with a duplicate of what's on top.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Don't use something half assed for a job it wasn't designed to do. Sell the EAD, buy other mics that will do the job you're looking for.

Do you mean room mic, or do you mean overhead?

For underside snare, start with a duplicate of what's on top.
True ture true.

flurbs

Reaction score
No they’re not. They’re electret condensers, and they absolutely need phantom to provide bias voltage
They really are dynamic capsules and there absolutely isn't any phantom power involved! Everyone automatically assumes they are condensers because that's the obvious choice for something that's effectively replacing overheads. I've even read reviews from otherwise credible sources that say they're condensers... Both mic signals travel down the 'B' TRS cable, Left 'Tip' Right 'Ring' and common 'Sleeve', so there's no phantom being fed there - it's not even balanced. If you really don't believe me, pull out the 'A' cable (which is the trigger send) and you'll find both mics still work.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They really are dynamic capsules! Both signals travel down the 'B' TRS cable, Left 'Tip' Right 'Ring' and common 'Sleeve', so there's no phantom being fed there. If you really don't believe me, pull out the 'A' cable (which is the trigger send) and you'll find both mics still work.
Sorry, but you're wrong here.

As you've said, the A is the trigger output and the mic is entirely run over the B. But that doesn't have any bearing on whether or not there's phantom power. Phantom (by definition) runs along side the normal 3 connectors without requiring an additional cable.

Put a multimeter on the output of B out of the EAD 10 module:
12V T/S
12V R/S
0V T/R

This matches the 12V phantom standard from IEC 61938. (assuming pin 1 = sleeve, pin 2 = tip, pin 3 = ring)

Or just try to use the mic without phantom power (without using the EAD module). It doesn't work. :)

Last edited:

simedgoose

Reaction score
The mics are dynamics (I know where they come from). They do work if you plug the Sensor directly into a PA without phantom or the module (I’ve just tested it to make sure - it fed back). They don’t need phantom - if there is phantom going down the cable then I’m unaware of it, but it’s not for powering condensers. I’ll ask when I talk to them next.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The mics are dynamics (I know where they come from). They do work if you plug the Sensor directly into a PA without phantom or the module (I’ve just tested it to make sure - it fed back). They don’t need phantom - if there is phantom going down the cable then I’m unaware of it, but it’s not for powering condensers. I’ll ask when I talk to them next.
They definitely do not work :) I just tested it as well, with a TS, a TRS, and TRS->XLR. Are you sure you're not plugging in output A? The piezo will emit some output without phantom power.

And dynamics make absolutely no sense to use here. They'd need to be omni-directional dynamic, which are rare to begin with, and I've never seen them in that size. Any dynamic in that size would be rare, to be honest.

These are electret condensers.

simedgoose

Reaction score
Umm... sorry, but they are dynamics. I worked on EAD for around two years before it was released. Quite a few of the original presets are mine, plus all the low volume sample kits of the V2 update etc. In the last 5 years I’ve had many in depth talks with Yamaha about EAD and I’ve been there to work on it too. They are dynamics but it’s the DSP in the module which makes them behave in the way they do. When I first saw the EAD the electronics which are in the module took up racks and racks of gear. You know how much space they take up now. It’s the electronics which is the clever stuff, not the capsules.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Umm... sorry, but they are dynamics. I worked on EAD for around two years before it was released. Quite a few of the original presets are mine, plus all the low volume sample kits of the V2 update etc. In the last 5 years I’ve had many in depth talks with Yamaha about EAD and I’ve been there to work on it too. They are dynamics but it’s the DSP in the module which makes them behave in the way they do. When I first saw the EAD the electronics which are in the module took up racks and racks of gear. You know how much space they take up now. It’s the electronics which is the clever stuff, not the capsules.
Sorry, but I don't believe you're correct here. Physics works how physics works, regardless of software in the module.

Can you post a video of the mic output working without phantom power? I can post multiple videos of them _not_ working, but then immediately working once phantom is applied.

Can you show any dynamic mics that have ever existed that can fit a moving coil + magnet into the dimensions of the capsules on the EAD10?

Or alternatively, can you explain why there's a 12V of phantom power on the mic channel (but not the trigger channel)?

So it's an application where a condenser would be much more typically used (omnidirectional w/ a far reach), in a size that I've only ever seen in a condenser mic, providing the power required of a condenser mic. But you say it's a dynamic? I'm going to need more evidence than your word, sorry.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Reviews mentioning condenser mic:

Yamaha's official press release, mentioning condenser mic:

simedgoose

Reaction score
Yes, because everyone assumed they were condenser mics (as previously mentioned). Many reviews are wrong. One of the biggest audio magazines in the world has a different glaring error in a recent review of an electronic drum kit. These things happen all the time. That doesn’t mean that the magazines are correct though. I’d be very happy to look at your in-depth analysis of the EAD and pass it on to Hamamatsu. I have one question though - what does anyone have to gain from saying they are dynamics?