EAD10 mic

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, because everyone assumed they were condenser mics (as previously mentioned). Many reviews are wrong. One of the biggest audio magazines in the world has a different glaring error in a recent review of an electronic drum kit. These things happen all the time. That doesn’t mean that the magazines are correct though. I’d be very happy to look at your in-depth analysis of the EAD and pass it on to Hamamatsu. I have one question though - what does anyone have to gain from saying they are dynamics?
Yamaha's own press release states that they're condenser mics. Yamaha's manual stresses the importance of connecting the mic cables before powering on the unit (which is a concern due to the phantom power being on TRS jacks, which don't implement ground-first connections). Telling someone that these are dynamic implies that you can use the mic in situations that you can't (connecting it to an iOS device, connecting it directly to a powered speaker). And just in general, it's important to be right about the information available to people.

I'll ask again for anyone to show a video of these mics working without phantom power. I can record one showing them not working, then suddenly turning on when phantom power is applied.

Also, that image looks much more like condenser diaphragms, and not the coil + magnet present in a dynamic

simedgoose

Reaction score
You won't, because it doesn't. I recreated my 'no phantom' test from last night and found the mic that was feeding back was another which was also plugged into the desk (rookie error). It DOES need phantom, and that is because there is a little pre amp in the Sensor to bring the mic level up to line. You can test this by connecting an iPad or similar into jack B on the back of the module. Having the preamp in the Sensor keeps it (and any interference) away from the module. It doesn't change the fact that the capsules are dynamic though.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You won't, because it doesn't. I recreated my 'no phantom' test from last night and found the mic that was feeding back was another which was also plugged into the desk (rookie error). It DOES need phantom, and that is because there is a little pre amp in the Sensor to bring the mic level up to line. You can test this by connecting an iPad or similar into jack B on the back of the module. Having the preamp in the Sensor keeps it (and any interference) away from the module. It doesn't change the fact that the capsules are dynamic though.
Okay, I'm not going to argue anymore.

It's a mic that
- is in a position where a condenser would be the obvious choice (long-reach omnidirectional where handling noise is a concern)
- looks like a condenser (I've never seen a flat-backed dynamic, ever, and I'm not even sure how that would work given that the coil / magnet need to sit _behind_ the diaphragm)
- requires phantom power to provide bias voltage, like an electret condenser
- is referred to in multiple reviews and an official Yamaha press release as a condenser (can you find a single one that refers to it as a dynamic?)

But you're insistent it's a dynamic. I'm clearly not going to convince you, but at some point you need to consider Occam's Razor.

Last edited:

simedgoose

Reaction score
Only because I have been told by the team who designed and built the EAD that they are dynamic capsules, I've been told the factory and the manufacturer of them, I asked when I was originally involved if they were condensers (as it seemed the obvious choice to me), to be told, no, they were dynamics, and I was also told they tried condensers but they were not suitable for various audio reasons (which I was told at the time), plus I can't really see a reason why I'd be fed (deliberately) false info to pass into the public domain - there's nothing for anyone to gain.

Yes, I can totally see things from your eyes, but if there is no reason (financial, patent or other) why I'm telling you this (supposedly wrong) information, then I can't really see why this is such a big mountain to climb.

I'm going to leave it here too (if there's anyone else still reading this thread, I'm sure they are very relieved!).

Have a great weekend Brandon. Rock that M12 (another brilliant product!)

Simon

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve found just leaving EAD where it’s at works as a great OH. Sometimes I’ll close mic and have the EAD running. Best of both worlds. It’s just another tool in the shed.