EAK Jazz Ride

mikell_d_whitehead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to pick up a 20" EAK Zildjian Jazz Ride and I am not sure what the value is for them these days.

For a well patina'd and faded ink what would be a top end for these? No keyhole, cracks, or wavy edges.

I just want to make sure I'm not being taken for a "ride", this is not via this group either just a local seller.
Thanks

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I sold one via Reverb a couple months ago - about 2200 gms. Very strong inking. I'd have called it very nice. Sold all in for $280 shipping + taxes. Not a lot of interest in it which surprised me. I think a typical price for them is $250-$275.....and great if you can get in one at $200-$225. More money if exceptional or very light. Mine crashed a tad harsh which was the one reason I sold it. It's not easy finding a 20" EAK ride that both rides and crashes well. I've owned 4 so far and none did both well.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've seen a couple "Jazz Ride"s in stores, lately. Both were EAK's. They were also both quite a bit heavier than one might think, given the name. Watch out for the weight and try it before you buy, if you can.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the condition you describe I'm going to say 280 max. I have a small collection of EAKs and Jazz rides as well as Heavy rides seem to bring a premium BUT that also factors in condition cleanliness, logos etc. $ 250 is a solid offer and I wouldn't go higher than 280.

mikell_d_whitehead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the condition you describe I'm going to say 280 max. I have a small collection of EAKs and Jazz rides as well as Heavy rides seem to bring a premium BUT that also factors in condition cleanliness, logos etc. $ 250 is a solid offer and I wouldn't go higher than 280.
After acually getting my hands on it there are flea bites all around and slight keyholing.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Figure $50-$100 less for those defects. But the key is if it sounds good to you. Too bad about the ratty edges on this one. At least it was a well played / well gigged cymbal......a good sign someone liked the sound of it.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
The EAKs are somewhat unique, and many aren't what I'd call pleasing in the practice room. Their strong point was on stage and in the moment. I have a 20" jazz ride and it has an airy quality underneath the stick. But on its own it's a little tinny or wispy . In a proper musical context it sounds great. The bell is good and it crashes so-so. Not terrible. But I wouldn't buy them for home use when there are better choices for that -- .02

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a pristine EAK that I think is just over 2000g. Just a fantastic cymbal on the stick, dark crash and clear bell. I used to have an IAK but brilliant and it was way more pingy, heavier and not in great shape. I think I sold that one for $200.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The EAKs are somewhat unique, and many aren't what I'd call pleasing in the practice room. Their strong point was on stage and in the moment. I have a 20" jazz ride and it has an airy quality underneath the stick. But on its own it's a little tinny or wispy . In a proper musical context it sounds great. The bell is good and it crashes so-so. Not terrible. But I wouldn't buy them for home use when there are better choices for that -- .02
What about playing it in a practice room do you think changes it?

TPC

Reaction score
Very well said. I have a 20” Crash-Ride that functions exactly like you describe.

Latest posts