Eames Owners!!! Show Yer Stuff!

TrickRoll

Reaction score
I had this Eames snare drum built in the 80's.

Originally, it was set up with a Dynasonic snare unit and die cast hoops.

I switched it over to the Yamaha hoops and Puresound snares later.

Birch shell.

I love this drum.

And yes, a (metal) Gretsch snare gave up its bits to make this drum. No Rogers drums were harmed during this project.

Attachments

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
^ Nice snare drum. It must sound fat and full with the wood hoops. I've wanted to try wood hoops on snare and toms but haven't yet.

I like my Eames kit enough that I'd have new drums built by the new owner to find out if he makes them any differently or even better. A 24x14 kick would be a blast to pick up... might have to do that one day.

TrickRoll

Reaction score
I like the sound and feel of the Yamaha wood hoops. The only downside I’ve found is they take up a little real estate. It isn't much but I notice the wider diameter.

Fat and full, indeed. And easy to tune.

Mine show very little wear after quite a few years. Not a heavy hitter, though.

ajkim18

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I ordered an Eames Master model 15-ply snare a couple months ago, and I just went to pick it up. Stunning drum. It's a 14x5.75 in cherry wine. Champagne lugs.

20190625_134009.jpg

20190625_133807.jpg

mpungercar

Reaction score
My Eames 8x14 Master Model. Joe made it for me back in 83. It's a bit of "FrankenDrum" with Gretsch hoops and lugs and a Ludwig P85 throw.

Attachments

musicman64

Reaction score
Finally got the 1981 Eames drum kit out of the backroom and cleaned up .Learnin' to appreciate it again after all this time
20",,16"..15"..14" 12"{x2}..10"..8"..14X6.5 snare. I forgot how big and heavy these drums are...but..the sound makes it all worth it

Attachments

Jody Jody

Reaction score
I had this Eames kit made for me back in 1985. I was studying with Bob Gullotti (RIP) at the time and he was an endorser and sent me to Eames. I remember going to the factory where Joe MacSweeney let me roam for hours allowing me to mix and match drums until I found the sizes that I wanted. After about a 9 month wait, I finally had my kit. I stayed up all night assembling the lugs and mounts etc and played the kit for hours the next day. Over the years I have done hundreds if not a few thousand gigs on this kit. Today, they look a bit sad. They started out as the classic Ebony finish but the smoke filled clubs of the 1980s and 90s weren't kind to these shells, which are now a brownish/yellowish/greenish color. Kids- that nicotine is a bad thing. No doubt, my lungs turned colors too from all the second hand smoke back then. I have just contacted Mark Kohler to see if he can cut down the 12x12 to a more respectable 12x8 and see if he could possibly refinish the shells. Then I can fix up the hardware to restore these to their original beauty. Although they look a bit tired, they sound amazing! They have aged like a nice wine. Natural Tone shells for all except the snare is a 14x6 Master Model shell with my name engraved inside by Joe Mac.

Attachments

WesChilton

Reaction score
I'm late too, but I love my Eames kit, so I'll share. :)

Mine is a 1990 Finetone/Mastertone mix 9x10, 9x12, 14x14, 15x15, 16x22 in natural birch. This photo is from 1992 and the drums were still very light colored, but smoke-filled clubs, outdoor gigs and decades of use has yellowed them significantly. But they still sound incredible.

Attachments