Ear protection- what do you use?

brushcomb

Reaction score
I’ve had the musician’s attenuator earplugs, and they’re ok but expensive, and you really have to be careful not to drop them in a dark club. I bought a second pair after losing one of the first pair, but the second pair never really took. I had the best luck with these as a listener at loud shows.

These days I just stick to the white foam earplugs. The ones that aren’t tapered. They’re cheap and cut out the most volume.

The blue ones and the yellow ones are tapered and don’t do any good for my ears. Maybe they work for other people.

Dan K

Reaction score
I have tinnitus and want to make sure I don't make it worse! I almost always use Alclair Audio Spires (6 driver, hi, mid, 4-bass) that are just amazing. The quality is much better than my expensive speakers and I get a better noise reduction than when I use my other choice - 3M foam plugs under 25 db reduction shooting muffs! I went to the IEM's when I started playing at places that demanded low volumes and, when I use them, I get more volume with the IEM's out after playing than I do when I have them in my ears for monitoring. In most settings, I have a 16 channel mixer so that I can set my preferred mix. One thing I have found is that I really need an ambient feed if I am on drums so that I don't play too loud. With an ambient feed, I can hear the overall mix and adjust.

Dan

zeichner

Reaction score
I have used Earasers for years. They work well for me. They reduce the noise level without making everything sound muffled. I especially like that you can replace the silicone shells as they become yellowed with age & lose their shape. I started with the medium size, but switched to small, because after a few hours, the mediums made my ear canals ache. Here is a link: Earasers earplugs for musicians and concertgoers

Beesting

Reaction score
55yo, tinnitus in my right ear; and currently in a struggle to clear wax buildup
out of my left ear. The Struggle Is Real, yo. And downright aggravating.
I have some hearing loss from years of loud music, headphones, and concerts.

Sometimes when I rehearse with my band I just ball up some tissue paper
and stuff them in my ears.

I can deal with my tinnitus any time. But the wax clog has Gotta GO.
Peroxide on Q-tips doesn't help much. I want the wax gone! :sad:
Try Earwax MD. I used it just last weekend to remove a blockage in my right ear. A few drops in your ear, let it work for 15 or 20 minutes and then flush with warm water. Everything is in the kit...ear drops and flushing bulb. Saved me a trip to the doc.

Beesting

Reaction score
55yo, tinnitus in my right ear; and currently in a struggle to clear wax buildup
out of my left ear. The Struggle Is Real, yo. And downright aggravating.
I have some hearing loss from years of loud music, headphones, and concerts.

Sometimes when I rehearse with my band I just ball up some tissue paper
and stuff them in my ears.

I can deal with my tinnitus any time. But the wax clog has Gotta GO.
Peroxide on Q-tips doesn't help much. I want the wax gone! :sad:
Forgot to say...Do Not use Qtips in your ear. You will push the wax farther in the ear and pack it in tighter. I speak from experience. Had to go to Emergicare to get it removed!

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been using Shure SE215s for as long as I can remember. While I may upgrade in the future sometime, I'll always use in-ears. One of the best decisions I've ever made in my drumming career.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is it because foam doesn’t cut the right frequencies?
I guess it just has a tendency to shift position or get out of shape in your ears. It definitely takes out more high end while allowing low end sound to pass into your ears.

FRP123

Reaction score
I still have Norton Sonics from a long time ago. The same ones I insisted Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons wear. Marty Garcia at Future Sonics also makes custom ones.

langmick

Reaction score
I used to work in a loud nightclub, in the Detroit techo era, and I have to wear protection at any concert or anywhere with loud noises, it gets irritating.
In a pinch, take a bar napkin, rip it in half, roll it up to the proper diameter and insert. Works as well as any earplug that I've used. I use the Etymotic Research plugs when playing, they have lasted the longest, and are narrower. I have narrow ear canals and they fit well. Tried the Vaters and those were nice, but the insert fell out after a while.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
For over the ears, I use Peltor in the style that goes behind your neck rather than over your head. They are more comfortable--and the sound is really good when wearing them.

For in my ears, after trying many different types and brands, the Earasure plugs.
They are clear, comfortable and bring all frequencies down evenly. I don't get that "underwater" feeling or sound at all. Nice price as well.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These days I just stick to the white foam earplugs. The ones that aren’t tapered. They’re cheap and cut out the most volume.

The blue ones and the yellow ones are tapered and don’t do any good for my ears. Maybe they work for other people.
Same here. I use a few different hearing protectors, but most often these.

I got used to sleeping with them over the last 10 years due to noisy neighbors, and they really helped. Now, even with no loud neighbors, I don't sleep nearly as well without them.

The rounded-end versions don't work well for me either. If I forget mine and I'm given those, I turn them around to the flat side.

flents plugs.png

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
I just use powered off skull candy headphones. They work well enough for me and cut out quite a bit of noise, even without active noise cancelling.

Jeremy.Rad

Reaction score
Custom moulded plugs with -15db. I also use IEM's live or in rehearsal. I have full control over my IEMs mix from my phone with a limiter in place just in case.

Reaction score
The best ear plugs I’ve ever used are cigarette filters. You can buy them in a tobacco shop. They don’t completely cut all high frequency and they are super cheap and disposable.

Homebound

Reaction score
I would have quit playing shows long ago if it wasn't for in ear monitors. Can't put a price on your hearing. I feel like the custom moulds are the way to go. Buy once, cry once, enjoy then the rest of your life. I will admit they take some getting used to and a good mix is a must. I like a sub on my riser as well to get tactile feedback. I know they make throne mounted devices for that however it has been easier to just add a sub for the drum riser in the stage plot and rider for shows.

Attachments

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i used just plain old cheap foam guys forever - i just figured i would lose anything fancier. i still do sometimes - i buy them 100 pairs at a time!

though in recent years, i've been using some of the many pairs of my vic firth SIH1 headphones that broke - i just snip off the cable. gives you a lot more low end
I did the same with a set of closed-cupped Beyer-Dynamic 770 80 ohm my sister trashed. Snipped-off the cable too!

Sammybear

Reaction score
I was born with tinnitus so I've been rocking old school metrophones for practice for 25 years. Luckily the gel filled cups are replaceable because metrophones have tripled in price. They make everything sound awesome unlike the muffled crappy tone of shooting muffs.

View attachment 486125
A big second here on the Metrophones! My Metrophone Studio-Kans are great and I totally agree... they make everything sound awesome! The gel cups are extremely comfortable and I have replaced them once saving a lot of money over the expense of a new pair. Can't recommend them enough and they come with a volume control knob for a second volume control source. The chord is removable allowing you to either play with music or if you want, just use them for sound protection. Can't beat em (pun intended)!

Attachments

Perry Rotzell

Reaction score
I used to use the Vic Firth ear protectors. I really liked them! However, over time, they became rancid and foul, even after careful cleaning of my ears and the product. Now, I just use the regular, disposable, orange foam, industrial hearing protectors. They are very inexpensive and have better noise reduction, compared to the pricey Firth product.