Ear protection- what do you use?

robbkm

Reaction score
Anyone on this thread singing leads or back-ups as you play with ear-protection? I mainly play loud, hard rock/metal. I've had trouble hearing monitors/other vocals and/or just self-monitoring my own vocal volume with my molded plugs with -25db or even -15db inserts. So I wind up using foam plugs I tear in half (especially on monitor side) so that I can better hear vocal frequencies. Any tips or similar experience?

dcdrum

Reaction score
Buy a RADIANS moldable earplug kit.
I've used the Radians moldable earplugs (https://tinyurl.com/cd9ptn38) for a custom fit and installed my IEMs into them during the molding process like in this video:
A different brand is used in the video, but the concept is the same.
It really worked well. The earbud tips that come standard with my IEM earphones don't get a good seal in my ear, so the sound quality isn't very full (low bass) and they don't stay in. Making the custom molds is fairly easy, though I've done it a couple of times and got better with experience.
Before investing in IEMs (which has also helped my singing immensely – no more straining and wrecking my voice because I can HEAR myself), I used to use Earasers, which worked well and the sound was still fairly natural sounding.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Custom molded iems for myself. Beats a wedge and the unit I use Has a limited so nothing harsh will reach my ears

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to try some of the suggestions and see how they work. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
Quick follow up:

Remove hearing aids under muffs, muff mics live: wawawawawa remains.

Crash cymbal sound has no oscillation, nor does hi hat.

No cord on muffs to interfere with stand, etc.

Something is going on between the frequency of the ride cymbal pattern and the muff mic. Thereis a decibel limiter on the muffs. As the ride pattern strokes each rise in volume, they hit the ceiling and cause an very fast automatic decrease in volume which rises again at the next stroke to bounce off the decibel limiter again. Ad infinitum.

Still trying to contact the manufacturer for help. Thanks for the suggestions.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
I use the Vater earplugs if there's no IEM mix, otherwise it's always IEM. I use those when playing at home to tracks also, with a few drum mics in the mix.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Molded with different inserts: 7 db and 25 db (took the wrong one to an Iron Maiden concert once, big mistake...)
I use these also. Best investment I’ve ever made. I have three different filters, 9, 15 and 25db.