Earl Palmer

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some of his gear and discog/history are over at Maxwell's. The man played on a LOT of stuff!

Also curious (at the bottom of the page on the Maxwell site) is Earl's 3x13 fiberglass Blaemire snare. ! It's hard to imagine how it sounded. I imagine a flat, small kind of sound, but maybe not. May be the classic, 'sounds terrible in the room; sounds great on tape' kind of thing. Also possibly challenges the myth of the supra as most used snare, though I don't know how much this 3x13 was used. Does anyone know?

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
lol just looking at the wiki on him. a quote:

Late in his career, Palmer appeared in a music video with Cracker on the song "I hate my generation". As Addicted to Noise tells the story:"According to Cracker leader David Lowery, when Palmer was asked if he would be able to play along with the songs, he gave Lowery a look and said, 'I invented this sh**.'"

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
look at the pro percussion vintage shop vids
he's there big L.A. guy
(not that I know anything about California ; )

pontiacrich

For Bongo & JM :(
Reaction score
Man, I never heard of this guy until this post. Wow! What a career!

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
Earl Palmer and Hal Blaine "wrote the book" on the West Coast recording industry drum scene of the 50s-80s. Which one of them was on the most recordings? Who cares? They were each on thousands of recording sessions for countless hit records and hundreds of all time classic albums.

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of the things I find cool (and incredible) is that they both were in the Wrecking Crew, and Hal apparently contracted out jobs. "Earl, I have 20 sessions this week; can you take the other 20 I can't do?" There was so much work, one of them wasn't enough. Possibly they played different enough too, that certain jobs were better for one than the other, but i'm guessing.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool, but some of the cymbals look like they were never touched! I imagine Z gave him some stuff that he never used too much.

TwisterUp

Reaction score
Back to that 3x13 snare - there's a YouTube video of Steve Maxwell demonstrating it. I watched it a few weeks ago, and I seem to recall it sounding great.

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yup! It's funny about snares, sizes/types etc. What is 'best' for x gig. 3x13s and plastic no less, don't get talked about too much y'know? And here we have the hitmaker! Also funny the trends that instruments go through depending on the year. "No one's playing piccolos anymore" says DW in a recent thread. Sonor also made what they called a pancake snare which was even shallower; 2.5 I think, and that was a 60s model too. I always wondered why they made it, (could be for orchestral use too) and maybe the Earl influence is why.

Way Out Wardell

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine got Earl to play on his album about ten years ago; he said Earl could just turn on that early rock and roll sound like a switch!

I wonder if this snare is on 'The Wedge' by D. Dale, cuz Earl played on that.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
atomicmorganic said:
Earl Palmer invented rock and roll drumming in New Orleans in the early 50s.
Yes, this. He's one of the most important drummers, ever.