Early 1930's Slingerland 26x12 bass drum - white enamel - clean and repair

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This showed up out of the blue yesterday. Once I saw the cloud badge I wanted it. Turns out it's the first style of Slingerland cloud badge used from 1928 to the mid-30's. The drum matches up perfectly with the 1930-33 catalogs of a College Drum Outfit.....white paint, 26x12, 10 timpani style rods with a single eyelet, kick pedal operated little crash cymbal, 12" suspended china cymbal. Came with a Slingerland muffler arm and 10" Alejian splash cymbal, The drum looks solid enough. Most paint intact. One calf skin head is simply beautiful. The other head has a couple rips and stains - don't know if that can be brought back. One of the rips is along the edge. It does play pretty good just like it is. The hoop tapered ends have come apart and need to be glued back down. Though I note there's no sign of glue ever having been there before. The china cymbal is better than the primitive stuff you usually see. This has enough lathing and hammering to suggest it did come from Slingerland with this outfit. Sounds more like a modern china.

In taking them apart for cleaning and soaking, the drum is out of round some. And one re-ring slips with pressure on it. That would need to be glued down again. Interior is nice otherwise w/o issues. The nickel claws and t-handles are cleaning up nicely. The rod shafts are pretty rusted and will need more time.

I have a pair of clamp on Radio King toms that have been looking for a "job." And this bass drum might be for them.

IMG_20190817_162603.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That’s a beauty!
I just scored a 12x20 WFL bass drum, thought I bought a 14x20 but was pleasantly surprised when it arrived.
Love 12” deep bass drums

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice work, man. Single tension always gives me trouble while tuning. What's your strategy?

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have no "strategy" yet. With only one rod to tighten/tune trial and error seems to be my "method." Pretty ringy drum in this size - maybe a horizontal felt strip on each side. Then apply the external if still needed.

First step is just to get it back together......fixing those hoops with glue and clamps....that will take me a while. Never had to do it before. Also never messed with calf skin heads before so this is a new one for me. I didn't even know there were "rules" for cleaning and maintaining calf skin heads, until last night.

Speaking of single tension.....the one below joined the flock today too. Sparkling gold pearl April 1958. Calf skin heads. After cleaning it up it tuned up rather easily with one horizontal felt strip on the batter side.....the same way it came from Slingerland.
IMG_20190818_185958.jpg

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Repaired the hoops on the early 30's bass drum. Mounted the old Radio Kings I had laying around. Slingerland's clamping system is pretty robust considering how much the 13x9 and 14x12 toms weigh. All calf skin heads. The toms tuned up pretty easily. That old "thuddy" big band "Sing Sing Sing" sound. Was missing the knob to adjust the muffler on the 14 in tom. Then realized I'd seen a very similar knurked knob on an Epic kick pedal. Yup. Borrowed that for the RK. A rattle out of the 13 in tom was tracked down to a loose tom mount base plate. A bit of luck that this bass drum showed up to find a suitable home for the orphan RK's.

best 1.jpg

Last edited: