Early 50s Gretsch Name Band

wingnutz

Reaction score
22/13/16/6 1/2 snare. Still have broadcaster calfskins on all toms. Snare has vintage remo weather king. Clear interiors, no tags or date stamps. Including all orginal hardware. Early nickel hi-hat, cymbal stand and L cymbal mount. Floating action petal is incredibly free and smooth. Still has orginal leather clad beater. No fade or lift on wrap, just 2 tiny scuff marks that are practically invisible. No pitting no rust on anything except for flaking on rail plate below rail mount. These almost 70 year old drums are exceptional. Selling these as bought from widow of orginal owner. I will include remo ambassadors for bass and toms which fit on shell nicely. Prefer local pickup or possibly meet up halfway from my location. 14701 (WNY).
$3000.
UPDATE...I'll be driving to Charlotte NC the 3rd week of this month. Opens more possibilities for a delivery between Buffalo area and North Carolina.

Attachments

Last edited:

wingnutz

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments guys. I picked these up about 15 years ago and played them out very seldom. Only for those certain gigs. I fitted them with remo ambassadors and E-mad batter and they sounded great. They seemed to slide on over shell with no problem which I've heard has been a problem with some Early 3 ply. I had kept all the calfskin heads and are currently back on except the snare which had been replaced by the orginal owner with a remo weather king. The only real issue (if you can call it that) is some flaking chrome on plate below rail mount and 2 brass BD claws that have clasp part broken on one side. I had relocated these on backside down by petal. I since ordered aftermarket claws that are very close. But as condition goes these are great. Pulled a lug and no color change! The reason for selling these is no room in new house so selling off the kits I don't play often and a couple project sets.
Picture of the two broken brass claws.

Attachments

Jaimoe7

Reaction score
for my money the coolest drumset on the interwebs....wish I had the $$

wingnutz

Reaction score
It is amazing, I thought the price was fairly reasonable. I've had inquiries as to if I'll split up. Can't do it.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
It is amazing, I thought the price was fairly reasonable. I've had inquiries as to if I'll split up. Can't do it.
Selfish people care nothing for what you have preserved and offer for continued appreciation. No, some knucklehead thinks you’d be desperate enough destroy a complete original set for their lazy need to buy one drum.

Always amazed me.

Cpb282

Reaction score
It would pair nicely with my other early 50s gear:

F121D37F-A367-4BFD-9506-8FE77D1918C5.jpeg

That set has character. But sadly I should conserve funds.

Cpb282

Reaction score
in

Hey, that Farmall got plenty of character too. Lot a work to get it looking like that. I once had a John Deere M that I restored.
My granddad bought it in ‘53 and used it until ‘85. My dad restored it about 10 years ago and now I use it to plow my snow.

It is like a snapshot in time, just like that Gretsch

wingnutz

Reaction score
Traveling to the Charlotte NC area next week (3/18). Offering delivery points between Buffalo NY and Charlotte.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
It would pair nicely with my other early 50s gear:

View attachment 488390

That set has character. But sadly I should conserve funds.
Nice tractor and pup! I cut and bailed hay as a pre-teener in the 60’s with a tractor like that. If I remember correctly(we had a couple of tractors) there was a PTO on the right side and we had a big long leather belt that ran off the PTO onto a big saw blade and we cut tons of slab wood with it.