Early 60s Sonor Teardrop ‘Chicago’ drum set

JFBL

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early 60s Sonor Teardrop set in Black Galaxy Sparkle with matching snare.Snare has the coveted offset Teardrop lugs. Killer sounding drums, these thin ply European Beechwood drums really sing. Takes regular sized heads: 20, 13, 16, 14 snare.

$1450 USD plus shipping including snare, $1100 USD plus shipping without snare.

No extra holes anywhere. There was a repair made to the mounted tom where the post meets the drum. I think this was a common occurrence with the thin shells. Repair seems sound and looks decent. Reinforced on the inside with a metal piece. A couple of minor unoriginal parts like a floor tom leg and the bass drum tom mount bolt. Bass drum hoop on drummer’s side is missing the inlay. Working clock face strainer on the snare. Snare is original. Clock face cap is missing.

One of the nicest wrap finishes I’ve ever seen on a drum set. The wrap has nicely and pretty evenly faded. Serious mojo.

Includes the excellent reproduction bass drum cymbal stand and rubber top made in Germany by Schneider Drums.

More pics to come. Snare stand not included.

*Price does not include shipping
*Will deliver within two hours of Toronto, but can’t currently cross border.

D727D2F1-F91C-4BB1-A080-8B3294D29CCE.jpeg

2A123D32-CB96-406A-805D-5D1B677C7B84.jpeg

Last edited:

Glassman

Reaction score
Beautiful. I have a very similar set (same snare with staggered lugs) with a 22” bass. What 3-digit number is stamped inside? Beech shells sound amazing.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would normally go in the 4 holes either side of the cymbal arm?

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beautiful! Friends and Family isn't allowed here though. Roll that fee into your asking price :)

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would normally go in the 4 holes either side of the cymbal arm?
Sonor used a wide spread internal support system for their bass mounts. The bolts heads you see are 2 for the cymbal mount (one on each side) and 2 of the 4 used on the tom mount. Note there are 2 matching bolts on the other side of the tom mount.

1614017858590.png

1614018074490.png

Last edited:

JFBL

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no serial numbers inside the shells. The mounted tom and the floor tom have re-rings, the bass drum does not.

There was a repair made to the mounted tom where the post meets the drum. I think this was a common occurence with the thin shells. Repair seems sound and looks decent. Reinforced on the inside with a metal piece. Sorry - forgot to mention this in my initial post, will revise the post accordingly.

Attachments

JFBL

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comes with a groovy Sonor dual drum key for the slotted universe.

96DC8790-9FA1-4293-996B-22CEB020095B.jpeg

JFBL

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Price amended to $1450 plus shipping. (Had to calculate PayPal fees etc)

JFBL

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh - that’s cool @Glassman, I didn’t see any numbers at all inside the shells. I’ll look again tomorrow.

JFBL

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi @studrum, they are as great at ‘their thing’ as any of the best 50s and 60s Ludwig, Gretsch or Rogers drums are at ‘their thing’, in my opinion. They are in their own league, just those other companies.

Not that I can compare any of these drums to each other, because of the different wood combinations, materials and build techniques.

JFBL

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday :)

I’ll sell the set without the snare for $1100 USD + shipping.

The price remains $1450 USD +shipping for the set including the snare.

Amending the original post.