Early 70's Star (pre-Tama)

Trilock_Gurtu

Reaction score
One of my Star kits, Tiger pearl, 12x8/16x15/22x14. Completely stripped down and restored, including:

- Shells trued, edges re-cut (30 degree with round over), interiors sanded and two-tone stained, original bass drum hoops sanded down to the wood, inlays re-glued. All done by KBM Custom Drums.
- Wrap/hardware cleaned and polished.
- New Aquarian Modern Vintage heads.
- All lugs packed.
- Upgraded Pearl floating floor tom legs.

I also have a second set of maple bass drum hoops, stained red. Love the look of both sets. Nice to have options. Kit sounds warm and fat. Cheers.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.JPG
6.jpg
4.JPG
5.JPG

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fantastic job on the cleanup!
I love the construction of those old Stars. Really cool stuff.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Very nice cleanup!
My first drumset, a Stewart, had those same T-rod handles, claws & lugs. A google search revealed that Stewart drums were among the many stencil brands made by Star-Hoshino in the 60s & early 70s.

I once had a chrome-over-maple LOTUS set, also made by Star. It must have been an early 70s professional model because the shells were maple with thick multi-ply maple re-rings and they sounded great! I gigged that kit for a decade and have never seen another like it anywhere despite multiple & frequent internet searches. Funny thing is the badges had a typo, the word FINEST was misspelled as FINST

LOTUS badge.jpg

LOTUS 12/13/16/22 C.O.W. Star-Hoshino
LotusBurst.jpg

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That has got to be one of the coolest MIJs out there. I think we could agree that color is pretty rare. Seen it, but not very often at all.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Definitely the original wood toned hoops for me. Especially with the stained shell interiors. I have real thing for stained wood though. It just seems warm and timeless to me. That's such a classy looking set!

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I prefer the original. The wife said she likes the red.
I’m not really helping ya.
Either way, beautiful kit for sure.