Early 80s Gretsch Rosewood lacquer kit

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Power 24 kick, power 12-13-14 toms and 16 floor tom. All have paper tags inside of the Jasper shells. Most 1980s Gretsch sets you see were ordered in virgin and dealer would install Tama,Pearl, Yamaha or what ever mounts and legs, not this set 100% Gretsch Techware including the heavy duty tom stand in the pics for the 12 inch Tom. Except the 24 and the 13 all new heads. The survivors of the gentleman that bought this set new said it was purchased in 1981 so that might explain the set having those wonky internal mutes on the batter side of toms that you see on 60s and 70s sets toms batter and resonate sides. These drums have not been cleaned. As you can see from the pics pretty strong color for a 39 year old laquer set. No major dings. Hoops have some pedal rash. Chrome - Needs cleaned!! As of now I would say the chrome is the weak part of this set but I would say 50% plus of the smegma suckubus ickempuckie will clean off. One pic is a close up of the 13 hoop. Some of that looks like tape residue or almost dried chewing gum but this is the worse looking part of set. The over head of the kick you can see the imperfections on the Ts and claws chrome. If I was a good salesman I would have cleaned one of them for a comparison but that would take an effort on my part. Price $1500.00 plus shipping. I will drive 2 hours out of Columbus Ohio in any direction to deliver for free to save shipping drums.

Attachments

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice price for a Gretsch kit - cut down the 12 & 13 (if desired), and put legs on the 14 and it would be perfect!! GLWS

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks Skyrm. Maybe cut the 14 down and make a snare too? They have more of red cast than the pics show.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Now you could order anything you wanted but Gretsch standard power toms were only 1 inch deeper than standard toms so these are 9 by 12, 10 by 13 and 11 by 14.

6packb

Reaction score
Wow - they look deeper than that. Great kit!!
The power tom depths for Gretsch are two inches longer than standard, so yeah they are deeper (10x12, 11x13, 12x14) At least that's what the catalog says (and my 80's kit measures)
These drums sound like cannons & Rosewood is absolutely beautiful!

Last edited:

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments guys! They are sweet looking and those thin Jasper shells and DC hoops are a killer combination. Now I am going to have to measure the depths. My memory is about as long as certain parts of my body but I would swear that Gretsch power toms were only 1 inch deeper where as most companies power sizes were 2 inches deeper. I will measure them this evening.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
New price. 1- Rather than $1500 plus shipping will sell for $1500 shipped ASSUMING shipping cost are not over $300. 2. Will sell for $1200 and drive 2 hours in any direction from Columbus Ohio to deliver at no charge. Delivery would be on a Sunday. Note - This is to deliver the drums, not for some one to look at them and decide if they want them or not. That being the case I must have the $1200 before I leave the house. If this makes me a jerk so be it. Thanks

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those shells look sweet. Imagine how nice once cleaned up. Take 1-2 hrs to toss all the steel hoops in a Dawn tub and those rims will sparkle again giving a whole new look to the drums. Or just do the worst hoop and see - that's 15 minutes of work. I'd bet it removes closer to 90% of that "gack."

Yamaha called those depths "force" toms. Power toms to me are when they get to within 0-1" from square (ie 12x11, 13x12, 14x13, 15x14) which seemed to be what the late 80's or early 90's was all about. These "force" sized depths were pretty popular from around 1982-1988. Many recording custom kits got them too. Force is Fine. That kit will sell just fine in those sizes....leave 'em as is.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
My wife wants these out of the living room!! Look st new price I posted on the 17.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a similar kit, with a few more drums. Same vintage and color. Those puppies speak.

Jasper shelled Gretsch aren't available any more. I hope you get more than you're asking.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm in Pittsburgh, and real interested. I'll likely have the cash together by next weekend if you still own it then. (There goes my gear fund for the Chicago drum show.) :D

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I still have them but was thinking of sticking my toes in eBay or Reverb for the first time to sell but would rather not. I will message you.

Latest posts