Early Cincinnati cymbals/percussion

PW VTG

Reaction score
Good morning. Newbie and know-nothing here. I have a bit of experience with brass instruments, guitars, but I know nothing about percussion. Picked these up yesterday at an estate sale, house where apparently no one had lived since about 1970. This box had a note that said family members had played with the Cincinnati Symphony between 1880 and 1930. No way of course to know whether the family's oral history is in any way correct. The stuff looks old, but how old and of any interest to others is the question. The 2 cymbals are unmarked as far as I can tell, 12.75 and 13 inches. The box also includes hammers, mallets, noise makers/calls, an incomplete set of bells, wood block and a bunch of brackets. I found you folks trying to catch up on cymbals... But I realize it's a lifetime learning pursuit so I'm hoping someone might be able to cut down my learning curve. I've put a couple of pictures here, and at the link there are 15 pictures of more of the lot, including measurements. Thanks!

Perry in Cincinnati

Attachments

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
your 3rd shot makes me think the cymbal is italian...the hammering looks like some Ajehians (?) I've had.
....and please have some Skyline for me...thx

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a facebook page for folks that are into 1920s "traps." They could probably answer all your questions.

PW VTG

Reaction score

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did the note detail give the family name? Leo Brand, Sr was Tympanist at that time and had a son in the Violin section (Leo Brand, Jr.).
Any manufacture stamps on the Glockenspiel?

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that the cymbal(s) look Italian. The two cymbal mounting devices: 2nd is for mounting the cymbal so the bass drum pedal with an attached striker plays the cymbal together with the bd. The other could be the same idea or maybe for attaching the cymbal to have another strike it from above? That’s a guess.