Early Tama Rockstar Bass Drums

Sagefire

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if Tama made their early (late 80s, I believe--short lugs) Rockstar Drums in 22" by 18"? I've been perusing the catalogues and only found mention of 22" by 16".

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of one but there's always the chance of a one off, custom order. Yamaha did offer the 22x18 in the Turbo Tour Customs...along with "square" rack toms. Tama stayed that final 1" away from taking that leap. So I think a 16 inch deep bass drum was as big as they got back then.

Sagefire

Reaction score
I figured as much. I saw a guy selling what looked like a late 80s early 90s kit but said the bass drums were 22" by 18". I suspect the measurements might be off or its the older Rockstar lugs one something else.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I figured as much. I saw a guy selling what looked like a late 80s early 90s kit but said the bass drums were 22" by 18". I suspect the measurements might be off or its the older Rockstar lugs one something else.
Or like 90% of the people who don't know drums....measure the depth from the hoop edges....effectively adding about 2". Measuring from head to head takes a little more thought and ingenuity.