Earplugs?

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I need some decent earplugs that will let me hear the full tone of cymbals and drums. It’s pretty loud in my practice room!
Price is an issue - as always - and I think fifty bucks is about the max. Hunting on Amazon, I’ve seen some DIY ‘custom fit’ earplugs for a fair price if they work as advertised.
Any ideas? Favorites and recommendations?

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you are not getting custom made stuff, I think a good option is the Vater earplugs. They come with a couple of different filters for different db levels.
Vater_MusiciansEarPlugs.jpg

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just (as in am at my next stop on the same trip right now) picked up a pair of earasers. I have a gig tonight in a twin guitar (and keys) blues/soul/blues-rock outfit, so I can let you know how they work pretty soon! I've stupidly resisted hearing protection before for exactly the reasons you describe, but I'm in general trying to be a more responsible person about basic health stuff these days! We aren't crazy loud, but I still feel worn out from the pure volume of sharing stage space with a pair of guitar players.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
Earplugs are tricky. So many of them appear to be almost exactly the same yet they sound totally different. I've tried a lot, and Pacatos are my favorite by far. They're affordable, have a neutral sound, and they don't look like you have antennae sticking out of your ears.

Whatever you get--if you don't like them--try something different. We spend big $ chasing down our ideal drums and cymbals, but your earplugs have a massive impact on what you actually hear behind the kit.

Nubs

Reaction score
I suggest Hearos High Fidelity ear plugs. Specifically designed for playing music.

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man. Many great ideas! One of the things that drives the choice is that one ear canal is small. At PASIC a few years ago, the people testing hearing count get the ... whatever it was into my left ear.
The Vibes look good for a fit. The silicon tips look interchangeable with others Once I bought a set of tips, with all kinds of sizes. Wonder where they are??
(story of my life)

Last edited:

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Man. Many great ideas! One of the things that drives the choice is that one ear canal is small. At PASIC a few years ago, the people testing hearing count get the ... whatever it was into my left ear.
The Vibes look good for a fit. The silicon tips look interchangeable with others Once I bought a set of tips, with all kinds of sizes. Wonder where they are??
(story of my life)
My ear canals are a little small, and the Vibes fit great and stay in. With some of the other plugs, they end up working their way out, which kind of sucks in the middle of a song.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My ear canals are a little small, and the Vibes fit great and stay in. With some of the other plugs, they end up working their way out, which kind of sucks in the middle of a song.
Vibes also come with 3 different size interchangable plugs, so they are sure to fit.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
For non-custom earplugs, I like Earasers. They offer different sizes and different filter levels (I use the -26dB filter). And I actually just used their Renewal Kit to switch out my old, worn sleeves to brand new sleeves (keeping the filter) today. They're super comfortable. I forget I'm wearing them.

Rick

Reaction score
(story of my life)
Yeah, the Vibes fit me great. They're comfortable, stay in really well, and not really noticeable that I'm even wearing hearing protection unless you look directly at an ear from the side. It's been awhile, but I think the tip that came on them fit me right out of the box. But they have a smaller one. Also, the little carrying case that comes with them is super small, rigid enough to protect them well, and very comfortably fits into a pocket. I keep them in my stick bag for gigs. But if I go to a concert I move them into a pocket and it's really easy to get to them whenever I need them.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
a Plus 2 or so for Vibes:

I had a set of Hi-freq Hearos which I liked the sound but they weren't comfortable after a 4 hour gig.

I had a pair of Earasers and liked the comfort but the little "pull" broke off on mine which made them hard to get out and then eventually I forgot to take them out of my shirt pocket and they got washed and dried :)

Bought a pair of Vibes after several good reviews here and they have been best for the price point < $25 and are very comfortable. I normally only wear one at gigs depending on stage volume or will wear both but leave one half out (which then usually falls out)
I'd like to find some that have a lower cut, I bought a pair from CVS for $10 that are 12db I believe, I try to wear plugs for all gigs to protect my hearing but most of the time the onstage volume isn't loud enough for me to hear everything with plugs in and in-ears are not practical for most of my gigs, in house sound and back line kit multi band etc etc, quick in/out 2 hour sets.

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I‘m trying the Vibes. Good recommendations all ‘round - I’ll report in a while.
thanks!

loach71

Reaction score
I use Radians molded earplug kits. The work well and are inexpensive.

bonzo60

Reaction score
The Vibes sound interesting. I might have to give them a try in the near future. I've used Sonic 2's from North for years but the company is out of business. The repro's receive poor ratings due to the design of the plug itself.
They could be a bit irritating if pushed in too far but I got the hang of placement and it became a non issue.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do yourself the greatest favor you've ever done: save some money and have some custom-fitted musician's ear protectors made. Seriously. Your ears deserve it.

My tinnitus (and the hours I spent gigging) peaked in 1996, and I knew it was either save my ears or go deaf. I bit the bullet and had a pair of Etymotic Research Musician's Plugs fitted, and they have literally saved my hearing. These plugs allow you to choose your attenuation levels, and you can hear all the frequencies - no muffled sound. You can also use them for shooting, mowing the yard, shop work - anything with loud noises. They were worth every penny.

GeeDeeEmm