Earplugs?

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No argument from me. I rarely gig these days and when I do it's trio restaurant stuff. If I were playing more? The custom made are the way to go.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
We spend big $ chasing down our ideal drums and cymbals, but your earplugs have a massive impact on what you actually hear behind the kit.
As someone with pretty moderate hearing loss they will also have a huge massive impact on how you hear people speak in a regular setting or listening to the TV - watching tv and reading subtitles is an art form. lol

PaulD

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a good comparison of the Etymotic Research (or similar plugs) to full on ear muffs (like those used for shooting)?

I'm only playing in my house and I'm using RTOM pads and Sabian practice cymbals. I previously had my set in the basement and I feel like I did some damage down there and I'm probably going to have to take a break from playing for a bit to see if things get better. I've been having headaches and ear ringing and it's bumming me out.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried the Hearos and others but they didn't seem to block that much for me. I had customs years ago..forget the brand..and they were great. Until a weight loss caused them to not stay in place anymore. Customs are great but if your weight changes a good amount your ear canals change too. I'm now using Surefire EP5. They stay put and rated 26dB.

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
PaulD - full on earphones are much quieter than ear plugs (unless they’re custom).
I’ve used Vic Firth headphones for a long time. The downside to the headphones is that they block everything. With most earplugs you can still hear the music and the sounds of your kit.
I’m sorry to hear about your tinnitus. My ears ring most of the time but I brought it on myself!

PaulD

Reaction score
PaulD - full on earphones are much quieter than ear plugs (unless they’re custom).
I’ve used Vic Firth headphones for a long time. The downside to the headphones is that they block everything. With most earplugs you can still hear the music and the sounds of your kit.
I’m sorry to hear about your tinnitus. My ears ring most of the time but I brought it on myself!
Thanks. I'm currently using some very good Peltor muffs and only practicing at home. They actually make the toms sound great but I don't think I'd hear the rest of the band if it I used them for that.

A year or so ago, I had some inner ear problem that caused mild headaches and a bit of vertigo. It went away but this feels a bit like that. I'm going to just keep practicing with as much volume mitigation as I can muster.

Heyleuck

Reaction score
Check out the dBud earplugs, I think they are a good combination of quality and value. The volume control is limited but useful in different situations. Nice little touches like 6 different size tips and magnets to keep them together

I got mine for $50(Canadian)

J

jaymandude

I've been using the Vibes, and I like them, but I need more protection.

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
go get some musicians ear plugs...custom fit to your ear and you can swap db filters to your needs. Ive had a set for nearly 2 decades and there is nothing like them off the shelf, other than IEMs.

F

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
At rock shows nowadays, you may see people wearing new-fangled over-the-ear headphone looking things that are used at rifle ranges. They have noise reduction, block the loudest songs and allow you dial in conversational sounds or music as loud as quiet as you prefer.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At rock shows nowadays, you may see people wearing new-fangled over-the-ear headphone looking things that are used at rifle ranges. They have noise reduction, block the loudest songs and allow you dial in conversational sounds or music as loud as quiet as you prefer.
What kind are these/wo makes these?

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I’m trying a pair of those with my big band. I wear the headphones over hearing aids. I can turn up the headphone volume to hear the bandleader talk, but the electronic limiting sets a safe ceiling for the screaming trumpets. I measure 106-110 decibels at my music stand; however, the headphones set a safe limit of 80+ coming into my ear.

A problem I’m seeing is that, although I can hear hear the music comfortably as well as speech, my ride cymbal has an annoying WowWowWow undulation that is distracting. I’ve written to the manufacturer to see if they can suggest a solution.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Be careful with the earplugs that only have a little tab, like the Planet Waves. I've used those and I really liked them, but I've gotten them stuck in my ear before and couldn't grab the tab. I had to have one of my bandmates grab it with my Leatherman's pliers. I do like them as they're comfortable and block sound really well, just a bit of warning.

I use these plugs by DownBeat. They're still discrete like the Planet Waves but still have a stem that is easier for me to grab, but don't stick out like some other plugs I've used. The only thing is I wish they were more than 18 db reduction, but that's a preference thing. It's fine while listening at concerts but I would like a little more when I'm behind the drums. I really only use them for short gigs, typically multiple band shows, where I don't have time to get my in-ear rig set up and they already have a wedge for me.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been using these CVS-branded foam plugs for years. This is my current choice:
https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-foam-earplugs-advanced-protection-prodid-317536

Not the most advanced thing on the market, but I think it's a good product for my ears. I use it if I'm playing a rock gig (or rehearsing rock) or going to a rock gig. Advertised as 32db of reduction. I keep a bottle in my car at all times and then another bottle at home, which I use to fill a plastic bag that goes into my stickbag -- so that way I always have them accessible.