Earplugs?

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
I don't play drums now without headphones or in-ears. Except for acoustic jazz, drums are like smoking. There is no safe level. So every drummer needs to invest in either ear plugs; or a microphone/mixer/headphone setup. That's it. No half way. We all know this. So when a brother says "maximum budget = ?" we should all reply "what's your hearing worth?"

Whitten

Reaction score
Absolutely.
I much prefer volume lowering earplugs and headphones to monitoring headphones and IEMs though.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I don't play drums now without headphones or in-ears. Except for acoustic jazz, drums are like smoking. There is no safe level. So every drummer needs to invest in either ear plugs; or a microphone/mixer/headphone setup. That's it. No half way. We all know this. So when a brother says "maximum budget = ?" we should all reply "what's your hearing worth?"
It's quite a leap from "I don't" to "Every drummer needs to."

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a good comparison of the Etymotic Research (or similar plugs) to full on ear muffs (like those used for shooting)?

I'm only playing in my house and I'm using RTOM pads and Sabian practice cymbals. I previously had my set in the basement and I feel like I did some damage down there and I'm probably going to have to take a break from playing for a bit to see if things get better. I've been having headaches and ear ringing and it's bumming me out.
I have used a lot of different plugs and ear muffs. I currently use custom molded plugs made by Etymolic with 25db filters. There really is no comparison between them and the muffs. With the custom plugs, I hear my drums, just quieter. The attenuation is smooth across all frequencies. With muffs, like the Vic Firth ones or shooters muffs, you loss a lot of high end so the sound is really bass-ey.