Earth Ride help requested

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
It is coming up for the anniversary of this thread on Earth Rides:

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/94614-interesting-cymbal/

which dealt with the die stamp on Earth Rides which looks just like the late 50s small stamp.

This one (not on an Earth Ride obviously):

although we've also seen some Earth Rides which have the CO stamp as well:

I've also documented a few instances where an apparently late 50s looking die stamp appears on an otherwise 70s looking cymbal. We're talking a few out of hundreds, but I'm hoping I can find out a bit more with your help.

It would be great if those of you who have Earth Rides could let me know which die stamp you have. You may even have a 70s stamp, although all the ones I've spotted so far are either CO or the 50s small stamp look-a-like.

I would love to get a reasonably accurate (to 1/16" is close enough) measurement of the height of the stamp and the width. I've got handy hints on my site for how to do that which just happen to be listed in the 1960s section:

http://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-gallery.html#60s

And of course, if you scroll down from that link you can see the 70s stamp (in case you think you have one of those). Also please take note of whether or not you have the hollow font ink Zildjian on the bottom of yours. They do get rubbed off, but if you have one that would also be good to know.

Thanks for your help.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
And just to give us some examples, these are 3 I've stored in my reference pic collection. The first shows the ink and the die stamp together:

The second shows the late 50s look-a-like and the relatively bolded Zildjian Co and Ottoman sections are obvious:

This third one had the hollow ink Zildjian underneath, and the stamp looks a little different. The bold sections aren't so obviously bold in this one. This might be just because the die stamp was pressed in more firmly, or differently in some way? But check out the height of the MADE IN U.S.A. line. Does it seem a little taller than Genuine Turkish Cymbals? In the previous example they seemed the same height. I don't know whether this is natural variation, camera effects, or something else.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Nobody is owning up to owning an Earth Ride? Or did I put you off by suggesting I wanted you to measure the height of the stamp? Talk to me, oh Earth Ride owners.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I took a belt sander to mine and gave it a severe hammering . Now its a jazz ride .

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
BennyK said:
I took a belt sander to mine and gave it a severe hammering . Now its a jazz ride .
Now i'd like to see that!

Mike

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Thanks K.O. I know you had to do a lot of searching to get this one out of storage.

You've got an interesting version of the stamp on that one. It isn't quite like the others I've collected up in terms of what portions are bold and what portions are plain. The more variation I see the more I suspect some of this is down to just how the stamp was pressed in by the pneumatic applicator. That example was pressed in more on the MADE IN U.S.A right at the bottom, and the very top.

And it is fantastic to get an idea of height. That one is quite small -- a tad under an inch (haven't counted the tick marks yet). So easy to tell it from the late 1950s small stamp on height alone. That and the fact it is on an Earth Ride. :happy11:

And you've also got the "waffle pattern" on the bottom like I've seen on Sabian Leopard rides.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Thanks for digging it out and getting a stamp pic Kevin. We've been trying to figure some pattern on these Earth rides and their stamps. Any examples of these are very helpful.

Mike

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm keeping this one as is for my "collection" but it would be cool to send one of these out to Matt Bettis or someone similar to use as a blank to create a more typical ride and see what they come up with.

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
Earth rides werent really buried in the Earth in the 50's and dug up in the 80's now, were they? :icon_lol: I had a shot at one for not too much dough locally and passed on it...now I think I might want one!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Earth rides werent really buried in the Earth in the 50's and dug up in the 80's now, were they? :icon_lol: I had a shot at one for not too much dough locally and passed on it...now I think I might want one!
They are cool in their own way but they aren't real useful beyond an ultra-dry pingy ride sound. You can't crash it at all. If you have a need for that particular sound though they deliver.

I believe all cast cymbals look more or less like this before they get lathed down into the final product. Some unlathed cymbals (including brilliant finish Earth rides) get polished but the original Earths were left alone.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Thanks Dana. I didn't have an Earth Ride with a plain old 70s stamp until now. So now I've got 3 different stamps recorded on them.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never owned one but hearing one being played in a Sheraton and asking the drummer afterwards what it was.
The cymbal made that show band it was wicked; from any distance..

Latest posts