Earthworks and their great customer service

codydee12

Reaction score
I know this sounds salesy but I honestly was so blown away by my experience that I thought it was worth sharing on here.

The short of it - I had a DM20 sending a funny signal; Sent it to their techs; They sent back a brand new DM20.

I bought this DM20 a while back and have a few now. It’s my preferred tom mic. The mic started to send a signal that I had never seen/heard before (see the first pic below -middle stem). I contacted the folks at earthworks. We talked for a bit and decided it was best to have their techs get their hands on it. I paid $17 to ship it to them.
A few days later I receive an email from Earthworks with a shipping notification (which they paid to ship back). Today, the box arrived and I was completely taken by surprise. It’s a brand new DM20!
I don’t know if this is their norm in how they respond but with how nice these mics are, it’s great to see they have a matching high quality customer service.
And just because I am so excited...the last pic is the new mic. If you are in the market for new snare/tom or overheads, give earthworks a look.
19D6476F-62F4-4E5E-9A63-B82D1AB20859.jpeg

1228E5B0-40A9-4F1A-9C48-F262775F7113.jpeg

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good to hear. The Earthworks aren't cheap. Obviously an issue they decided to fix the right way and keep a return customer happy. Love the profile of the DM 20's. I had a similar experience with Heil and a PR30. After they sent a new one I had no hesitation when I bought a third one. Another great company.

drums1225

Reaction score
I went all in on Earthworks mics after hearing them at AES in NYC, about 4 years ago. I now have the DK7 and DK25/L kits, and a pair of TC25s. The mics sound absolutely great and have really taken my recordings to the next level, especially since I upgraded my preamps.

Do you have any issues with the DM20s moving around in the clips? Every review I've ever read mentions how stable and well built the goosenecks are (and they ARE), but my DM20s constantly slip in the mounts. It's really annoying.

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I went all in on Earthworks mics after hearing them at AES in NYC, about 4 years ago. I now have the DK7 and DK25/L kits, and a pair of TC25s. The mics sound absolutely great and have really taken my recordings to the next level, especially since I upgraded my preamps.

Do you have any issues with the DM20s moving around in the clips? Every review I've ever read mentions how stable and well built the goosenecks are (and they ARE), but my DM20s constantly slip in the mounts. It's really annoying.
My DM20s were slipping down whenever I played snare. Yeah, it was super annoying. I reached to the point where I couldn't record anymore.
I contacted Earthworks and then found out I had older parts. The parts were upgraded to prevent slipping down and secure the position. Immediately hey went ahead and sent me the new replacement (to Canada!) for all 4 DM20s. Now they are not moving at all.

drums1225

Reaction score
My DM20s were slipping down whenever I played snare. Yeah, it was super annoying. I reached to the point where I couldn't record anymore.
I contacted Earthworks and then found out I had older parts. The parts were upgraded to prevent slipping down and secure the position. Immediately hey went ahead and sent me the new replacement (to Canada!) for all 4 DM20s. Now they are not moving at all.
Thanks! I will contact them. Yeah, the hard, smooth rubber inside the clips isn't tacky at all. It just doesn't do the trick on smooth stainless steel mic bodies.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's nice to hear. I had similar excellent customer service with Audix.

BenjiDrums

Reaction score
Do they ever put stuff on sale? Trying to score a slightly better deal as I want to try a DM20

codydee12

Reaction score
Do they ever put stuff on sale? Trying to score a slightly better deal as I want to try a DM20
I’ve never seen any of the Earthworks mics (that I am interest in) go on sale. I am a frequent reverb’er and found some like new for about 80 off the original.

drums1225

Reaction score
Back in May of 2019, the Earthworks DK7 Drum Mic Kit went on sale from $2999 to $1999 and I grabbed it. I figured that would be the new price, but at the end of the month, it went back up to $2999, where it remains.

Also, the DM20s used to retail for $419, and now they're $349. Not cheap, by any means, but considerably cheaper than a year ago.

In regards to Earthworks' customer service, and as a result of this thread, I finally "got around to" contacting Earthworks regarding my DM20s slipping. Kim was immediately responsive and helpful, and the parts I needed shipped out the next day. I rec'd the replacement sleeves for the rim mounts, yesterday. She even included a nice handwritten card and some maple syrup candy. A+ in my book.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweetwater had a Black Friday / Xmas sale on them this past season.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What's your thoughts on buying used mics? Pros would be the cost of course but no warranty if anything stops working. I think for a $100-$300 mic ok but $400-$800 I'd tend to go new. Thoughts?

drums1225

Reaction score
I have no hesitation to buy used, and actually prefer it when feasible. Let someone else take a 40-50% loss on resale value.

In particular, Earthworks mics sold after 1/1/2011 have a 15 year warranty. FIFTEEN. Not sure if it's transferable, but damn, they sure stand behind their products.

codydee12

Reaction score
What's your thoughts on buying used mics? Pros would be the cost of course but no warranty if anything stops working. I think for a $100-$300 mic ok but $400-$800 I'd tend to go new. Thoughts?
I have only bought used mic's and haven't had any issues but I also have never spent more than $800 on a mic. I do typically only buy from Reverb (unless it is something like a 57) just to ensure, if there was an issue, I have a company backing me rather than being ghosted by someone on craigslist. Certainly a risk either way.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Every now and then a company will honor a warranty regardless of 1st or 2nd owner. That's what I call standing behind their product.