Ease of selling gear.

Drummingfool11

Reaction score
Morning all. I’m considering selling some gear and wonder what the best way to go about it is. I have a 8-10-12-14-16-18-22 maple custom absolute Yamaha from the early 2000s blue, and a 12-13-16-22 vistalite from the 70s in red. I also have some hardware for the Yamaha and a couple snares. I always have issues with people offering me pennies on the dollar for gear. Any suggestions? I’m considering downsizing to one set for ease and space.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome, Shane! If I remember correctly, I think you have to post at least 5 times here before you can list items for sale. You have great gear and if it’s priced right, it should sell. There are always gonna be tire kickers and low ballers, so be the duck to their water. LOL

Everybody, Shane is a fantastic local drummer in my area and a good friend, please welcome him with open arms.

Cheers,
Ryno

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
In pretty much any venue, it’s all about pennies on the dollar right now. Of course the more coveted items will do better, but e.g. there’s a Gretsch burgundy bop kit currently hanging out for 5K that would have been snapped up at twice that price just a couple years ago.

Your stuff may sell faster on Ebay; or it may sell to a more knowledgeable non-complainy buyer here on this forum; or you may have luck, in time, on Reverb. Even Craigslist has its fans, even though it will have the worst amount of flakes, lowballers, tire kickers, and other nuisances.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ll need pictures, an exact description of everything you want to sell including any “problems” with the gear. You’ll also need prices. They should be listed under drums for sale section on this forum. Also be aware that some people are buying to “flip” or resell so there may be some “lowballing” or just plain old bargaining.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ll need pictures, an exact description of everything you want to sell including any “problems” with the gear. You’ll also need prices. They should be listed under drums for sale section on this forum. Also be aware that some people are buying to “flip” or resell so there may be some “lowballing” or just plain old bargaining.
All of the above. Figure out what you need to get for the drums. List cymbals, stands, accessories separately.
Check reverb and ebay for "sold" listings to get price range, but just because things sell a couple times at a price, it doesn't mean yours will.
List everywhere you can... forums, reverb, ebay, craigslist, etc. Expect flakes and lowball offers. It's a buyer's market. Selling can be a job, so make sure you have time to pack well and promptly and answer questions that may go nowhere.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Selling gear, especially anything that costs a lot to ship, sucks. There are just too many good deals out there for people to agree to pay what you think it's worth. Buyer's market for sure. For me, I price stuff to move. If I'm selling something, I probably need the room. The space is more valuable to me than the money I might have made if I kept a listing up for a year.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
List it here, but also on Reverb. I’ve only had luck selling a few single items here. Most of my selling in past has had to happen over eBay or reverb.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation over the summer where I wanted to sell off all of my electronic drum equipment. I decided to try CL first because I didn't want to be bothered with shipping. I also decided to list everything separately rather than as a kit. Obviously, in your situation you probably want to sell your drums as a shell pack rather than individually. I would sell the snare drums separately, as well as the hardware components. Clean everything the best that you can and then take good quality photos. Be honest and thorough in your text description. I decided to undervalue my gear a bit. It may have cost me a few bucks but in the end everything sold quickly (4 days). Follow-up communication with prospective buyers is critical, but you do have to be careful to weed out those who are not serious or are trying to take advantage of you. When selling on CL I never want to come across as being desperate. I think a potential buyer is less likely to low ball you if they know you're perfectly happy to hang onto a piece of gear if you don't get a reasonable offer. Last but not least, if you go the local (CL) route, try to come up with an arrangement so that a potential buyer never has to enter your house. This can be trickier for some items more than others, but I was able to sell off my entire electronic kit without any buyer (stranger) coming into my home.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drummingfool11, it looks like the 5 post minimum before listing has been lifted. So list away in the "Drums for Sale" section.

Z

zenstat

Drummingfool11, it looks like the 5 post minimum before listing has been lifted. So list away in the "Drums for Sale" section.
I suspect it is a case of the code imposing the restriction being lost during the last major software change. The text associated with the for sale sections still mentions the requirement of 5 posts. :dontknow:

Nice looking red Vistalites.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had a lot more success in breaking up kits and selling the drums individually. I get more, as buyers are willing to spend more to complete their kits. They need that one exact tom, and it's the one I'm selling, in the right color, model, year, etc. I've found that big kits are a pain to sell. If I have an 8/10/12/14/16FT/22 kit, I'll usually sell the 8 and 10 individually, maybe even peel off the 14 as an individual sale (if it's a hanging tom), and then sell the kit as a 12/16/22 or something that seems very middle-of-the-road.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Quality of the pictures is a HUGE factor. I'm constantly amazed how little sellers invest to presentation of the drums they are selling. If you make the drum look good, it will multiply the intrest.

I consider myself pretty good in that area, and usually I sell everything really fast.
Last week this Craviotto went in 15 minutes for the asking price.

IMG_20191001_125210.jpg
IMG_20191001_124435.jpg

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And be aware how much ebay charges as commission. Ten per cent is the going rate! That hurts. Raising a price to allow for it can price you out of the market, too. Ebay also takes ten per cent on shipping.
I much prefer to sell on this forum and Vintage Drum. The buyers know what’s what, and ask good questions. They’re knowledgeable and fair.
I haven’t tried Reverb yet.
It also seems like it’s a buyer’s market these days. And shipping costs are high.
But in general, when I’m ready to sell something, I price it to move. The potential buyers on this forum are my choice — but if it doesn’t sell I bite the bullet and try ebay.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a local drum shop that I consign kits, snare drums, and cymbals at. It get's them out of the way, I don't have to bother with the hassle of trying to sell them myself, and I get much more than I would selling them outright to GC or Music Go Round.

Sometimes it takes a while to sell, but if you are not in a hurry for cash it is effective.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a local drum shop that I consign kits, snare drums, and cymbals at. It get's them out of the way, I don't have to bother with the hassle of trying to sell them myself, and I get much more than I would selling them outright to GC or Music Go Round.

Sometimes it takes a while to sell, but if you are not in a hurry for cash it is effective.
That all makes sense, but from the buyer standpoint it can be frustrating. For example there’s an orphan tom I want to buy, but the price us about 50% higher than what it would go for on ebay. It’s on consignment, so the owner is unwilling to negotiate, since the shop takes a big piece as commission. If I simply had to have it at any price, OK. But short of that, the drum will just sit there in storage.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That all makes sense, but from the buyer standpoint it can be frustrating. For example there’s an orphan tom I want to buy, but the price us about 50% higher than what it would go for on ebay. It’s on consignment, so the owner is unwilling to negotiate, since the shop takes a big piece as commission. If I simply had to have it at any price, OK. But short of that, the drum will just sit there in storage.
This shop charges me 25% for consignment. I give them a high and a low price when I drop it off. So far it has worked pretty well.