eBay/Craigslist cymbal alerts - the official thread

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Seller also had a mint looking 16" under $150 delivered as well. And they might take $135 shipped.
Thanks for that hint to look at their other auctions. They also have K/Z 13" hats which aren't that common. I think I've seen one other pair in my price tracking. The nice thing about the 18" and the 16" is that one cymbal has the model ink right side up and one has it uʍop ǝpᴉsdn. Another nice example of why using the orientation of the model ink is not a reliable diagnostic attribute for telling an EAK from an IAK.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
The 16" Dark Crash would be a little older than the 18" Medium Thin Dark Crash. I have one of each my favorite era of K's
I presume that's based on the change from the single model DARK CRASH (1982-1992) into two different weight classes from 1993 labelled THIN and MEDIUM THIN? That would make the 18" 1993 or later, and the 16" 1988-1992 (if the 1988 changeover year in lathing and Zildjian vs K on the bottom is 100% accurate).

Call me old fashioned, but I really like the model ink style on these older ones compared to the current K style. Cleaner. More understated.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I presume that's based on the change from the single model DARK CRASH (1982-1992) into two different weight classes from 1993 labelled THIN and MEDIUM THIN? That would make the 18" 1993 or later, and the 16" 1988-1992 (if the 1988 changeover year in lathing and Zildjian vs K on the bottom is 100% accurate).

Call me old fashioned, but I really like the model ink style on these older ones compared to the current K style. Cleaner. More understated.
I didn't look close enough but assume the 18" is pre-serial if so then it would have to be a 93.... edit: can't tell from their pictures if there's a serial or not....I think mine has a serial...and I agree the ink looks much better to me and I like the wider lathing on the IAKs than the EAKs or the new plain ole K's ;) which reminds me I never did post a good soundfile for that 19" K IAK Dark Crash....used it recently at the studio and it was great, I'll have to try and get a soundfile this weekend.... no it's not for sale ;)

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zenstat, have you ever seen IAK's (1988-1992 era) where one side is IAK, and the other side EAK?

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Zenstat, have you ever seen IAK's (1988-1992 era) where one side is IAK, and the other side EAK?
Depends on which attributes you use to define what is/isn't an EAK vs IAK.

What I have seen is Ks where the size of the tonal grooves is different between the top and the bottom, and the difference is beyond the level of just individual differences due to different people lathing cymbals on different days, or concentric rings of more coarse among finer, etc. Fine tonal groove lathing on top and bottom is the norm for EAKs, more coarse tonal groove lathing is the norm for IAKs. But occasionally...fine on top, coarse on bottom.

20-2182-top.jpg
20-2182-bot.jpg

Is that the sort of thing you mean? I only have a few like this in my reference collection. Once you get to 200 examples of EAKs and IAKs you start to be able to spot the anomalies and have some context for them.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Fine lathing on top....coarse on the bottom. I have a 10" IAK K splash that has always made me wonder. So there you go....1/2 of an EAK.

Spent some time going over the 4 types of Trans stamps tonight. That's finally clear. Good stuff. I had picked up a cymbal that was supposedly a 1970's thin stamp. The photo was fuzzy....but, I was positive it was a Trans stamp. After reviewing the trans stamps I realized it wasn't any of those....rather, a simple 2nd stamp with the 3 dots under the script.

Last edited:

Burps

Reaction score
Paiste 14" 2000 Medium Sound Reflection hi-hats. BIN $105 +26.86 SHIPPING. The seller gives some wrong info on the 2000 line, but that's ok. Still a great deal, IMO. I recently got a pair of the 13" version. Loooove them!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Soultone 26" Custom Brilliant Flat Ride new. $153.78 Shipped. I have no idea what it sounds like, but that's less than $6 per inch for a handmade B20 Turkish Cymbal. And its giant AF!

https://www.amazon.com/Soultone-Cymbals-CBRRA-FLRID26-26-Custom-Brilliant/dp/B00DDLQJK8/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=soultone+flat+ride+cymbal&qid=1555076373&s=gateway&sr=8-6
Buy it and try it out. I have the Brilliant custom 18" ride and it sucks big time. I'm about to sell it. I got that one last month on Amazon for $72. I do love their China's though. Best China's I've heard, I use the gospel line for those and got rid of my other 2 China's.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
20" Paiste 2002 med crash, like new. 175.
So I went to check this cymbal out and it is very nice. Looks brand new. a couple of finger prints but no stick marks. Sounds reaaly good and he even went down to 160 but after I listened to it I decided it was too similar to a cymbal I already had so I passed. But otherwise it would be mine. Now it could be yours.
He is thinking he might have to go to ebay as he has had it posted for over 20 days. So hit him up soon.
Search the internet and you won't find this cymbal in this SIZE anywhere for less then 250 used.

https://us.letgo.com/en/i/paist-crash-cymbal-usd175-today-only_011d9a1f-4f26-4797-8087-7414de06dbb8