header.nohb.html

eBay/Craigslist cymbal alerts - the official thread

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
This appears to be a pingy ride that would be good for big band. It's an orchestral cymbal that is priced nicely at $90

I snagged it out of curiosity and despite its weight it plays like a much lighter cymbal: feel under the stick and mellow sound with a lower pitch than I would have ever expected. It has a "tah" sound with some wash. I was going to use it as a contrast to a low-pitched 22 small stamp ride that I own, but I think this baby sounds too much like that one. I'll make it my primary ride when I am playing scaled down with a single ride because it crashes and accents perfectly for my playing style. I'll chalk this one up as a serendipity.

EDITED TO INCLUDE STAMP - early 60s perhaps?
StampZildjian26Oct2022.jpg

Last edited:

zenstat

Reaction score
I snagged it out of curiosity and despite its weight it plays like a much lighter cymbal: feel under the stick and mellow sound with a lower pitch than I would have ever expected. It has a "tah" sound with some wash. I was going to use it as a contrast to a low-pitched 22 small stamp ride that I own, but I think this baby sounds too much like that one. I'll make it my primary ride when I am playing scaled down with a single ride because it crashes and accents perfectly for my playing style. I'll chalk this one up as a serendipity.

EDITED TO INCLUDE STAMP - early 60s perhaps?

The rest of the images tell us what production period is represented in that cymbal. The stamp is the least diagnostic in this case. It is what we nickname the 60s trademark stamp although that is misleading. The 60s stamp was used for more years outside the 1960s than in the 1960s! Most of the time the trademark stamp lines up with the rest of the cymbal so we can get away with just looking at the stamp. About 5% of the time the trademark stamp doesn't line up. Yours is one of those. If you look at the bottom hammering most knowledgeable people wouldn't expect a 60s stamp. Same for the lathing.

20-2429-bot.jpg

For more on the Concert Band model see this recent discussion

Yours is half of a 50s pair, and in the Medium Heavy weight class. It makes a nice bookend to the previous discussion. I think it also has a Small Cup or Mini Cup bell, but I haven't tried to measure it yet. Assessing a Small Cup vs Mini Cup can be tricky on images. But we can probably rule out the Medium Cup which is most commonly used on 20" cymbals.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
The rest of the images tell us what production period is represented in that cymbal. The stamp is the least diagnostic in this case. It is what we nickname the 60s trademark stamp although that is misleading. The 60s stamp was used for more years outside the 1960s than in the 1960s! Most of the time the trademark stamp lines up with the rest of the cymbal so we can get away with just looking at the stamp. About 5% of the time the trademark stamp doesn't line up. Yours is one of those. If you look at the bottom hammering most knowledgeable people wouldn't expect a 60s stamp. Same for the lathing.

View attachment 589725

For more on the Concert Band model see this recent discussion

Yours is half of a 50s pair, and in the Medium Heavy weight class. It makes a nice bookend to the previous discussion. I think it also has a Small Cup or Mini Cup bell, but I haven't tried to measure it yet. Assessing a Small Cup vs Mini Cup can be tricky on images. But we can probably rule out the Medium Cup which is most commonly used on 20" cymbals.
It does sound like one of my 50s ride in many respects. My surprise was how mellow it sounded considering that it was a concert cymbal and relatively heavy. The bell is 5.0 inches in diameter and .75 inches deep.

Last edited:

zenstat

Reaction score
It does sound like one of my 50s ride in many respects. My surprise was how mellow it sounded considering that it was a concert cymbal and relatively heavy. The bell is 5.0 inches in diameter and .75 inches deep.

Hmmm. My eye was fooled. Here are the profiles and measurements of the 5 common Old A bells done with my profile gauge.

zildjian-bells.png

The Medium Cup usually measures a little over 5" in diameter, but it is hard to figure out exactly where to place the point of inflection. There are two other bells which have been recorded for Old As which sit between Small Cup and Medium Cup, but it sure looks like a Medium Cup given your measurements.

Older work on describing and measuring bells

It may be mellow because it was carefully tuned. Presuming that is what you mean by mellow. I see lathing patterns which show a bit of Rings of Saturn and other variations. The fine tuning like that seems to have gone by the mid 1960s, although the years of production technology changes are still in need of refinement and further evidence.

I'd be really interested to to see a profile shot, and to know whether the outer edge is downturned (aka downward flange) and to what degree. Or is it some other shape? All that bottom hammering effort out near the edge must have been for something. :dontknow:

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

davidlujan

Reaction score

Thomann has some really great deals because of the conversion rate between the Euro and Dollar. Although shipping is not free, there is no sales tax.

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
HHX Complex set, 15HH/19 thin/22 med
$775 (I checked shipping to me and it ended up being less than $45)

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
On Reverb. 14 Zildjian "hats" at 776/1176....listed as 60's.....$99 + $25 shipping. Photos show one 50's small stamp and the other a trans stamp.
A nice thinner new beat weighting that should sound excellent. A few ticks and flea bites.....no cracks. Though to me, one of the bell holes
might have a faint crack. If it does, you can probably get $15-$20 back on them.

https://reverb.com/item/63050402-a-zildjian-14-60s-stamp-new-beat-hi-hat-cymbals-pair