Ebay/Craigslist heads up for vintage drums-the official thread

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you think its a deal breaker?
I'm not the one to ask! Haha. $5k is out of my range for a set of drums. But I would have to think that those with the dough would want 3 complete drums for the money.
I don't know, honestly.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
I know the bass alone can be worth 4k it is the definitive jazz bass holy grail. I'm not buying either!!
Will be interesting to see if it sells, I know the market is week.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
The price on these is going to be interesting to watch. 5 piece bop Ludwig the 3 toms all 60s the base 70s, acrolite snare. Looks in good shape

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This seems like a steal with the snare and cymbals, right?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Certainly not a deal, but wouldnt the 12" and 14" be sweet with a matching bass drum? Say 16"-22"?

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone one close to Pasadena, MD? This listing is on Marketplace -Facebook. I believe there is a COB Pearl snare. I can make out the Gladstone style throw but can't see if it has 2 or 3 inversed beads around the middle of the shell. If 2 beads, it's steel - if 3 beads, brass. Definitely a 10 lugger. It's a Stewart Copeland special if it is. very nice sounding snare that you can probably snag for a little $$$

Last edited:

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice looking Fibes kit just listed on Reverb. I know there are quite a few fans and dedicated players here. Not my shop, nor my listing.

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
Nice looking Fibes kit just listed on Reverb. I know there are quite a few fans and dedicated players here. Not my shop, nor my listing.

An even better deal if you live in Canada. Only $1,299 CAD (under $1K US) with free shipping in Canada if you buy direct from Dave’s shop.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Who made this? Rogers?

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have never seen one of these - vistalite throne:
Vistalite Ludwig Drum Throne

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/d/wrentham-vistalite-ludwig-drum-throne/7039975488.html
Neither have I, which makes me question its legitimacy. Could be an RCI or similar repro. The late era round badge makes me suspicious as well. I think if Ludwig was making Vistalite canisters it would have been much earlier in the B/O era, before they determined they weren't a good candidate for that kind of weight and strain.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Neither have I, which makes me question its legitimacy. Could be an RCI or similar repro. The late era round badge makes me suspicious as well. I think if Ludwig was making Vistalite canisters it would have been much earlier in the B/O era, before they determined they weren't a good candidate for that kind of weight and strain.
They definitely existed.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My understanding is RCI did not begin providing Ludwig's acrylic shells until the 2000s, but they promote themselves as the only acrylic provider Ludwig has ever used, which extends to misrepresenting original Vistalites as their own, as well as fabricating made-to-order drums with B/O era-correct hardware and badges. If that's the case, anything in those pictures that isn't an original Ludwig catalog item would, I assume, be a modern RCI reproduction.

I've never heard why Ludwig allows RCI to misrepresent their product that way.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thinking more about Ludwig allowing RCI to represent themselves as Ludwig’s lone acrylic provider, I suppose it wouldn’t make sense for Ludwig to stick up for Cadillac Plastics, who were the supplier for the original Vistas. If people want to buy brand new Vistas from Ludwig, Ludwig probably wants them to think they’re buying the same shells from the original Vistalite era. I don’t know if Cadillac is still around, and there probably wouldn’t be any reason for Ludwig to stick up for them even if they were, or, alternatively, falsely claim that the original Vistas were actually made in house.

Last edited: