Ebay/Craigslist heads up for vintage drums-the official thread

Bennie94

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this 3 piece 70's gretsch kit? It's about a 30 min drive from my place. He's asking 650 but seems willing to go down. What would you pay for it? Or is it a pass. I don't have a lot of experience buying vintage gear, but I always thought it would be cool to own. I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if it's worth grabbing.

Last edited:

ggmerino

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this 3 piece 70's gretsch kit? It's about a 30 min drive from my place. He's asking 650 but seems willing to go down. What would you pay for it? Or is it a pass. I don't have a lot of experience buying vintage gear, but I always thought it would be cool to own. I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if it's worth grabbing.

Tough to say- it has some extensive modifications and looks like it had a bit of a rough life. Need to take a look inside the drums for cracks, warping, separations, look at the bearing edges, rot or water damage (soft or dark spots), screwdriver marks around the badge grommets (to see if the wrap is original or badges added- doesn't look like it), and most importantly- how do they sound? They may sound dead or be hard or impossible to tune.

Assuming the issues are only cosmetic- not a bad price.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some excitement on Facebook and CL Saturday when this Slingerland stage band kit popped up for sale at $40 out of Sharon, MA. No idea who got it. But it should resurface soon enough.
Wasn't sure if the bass drum was an 18 or 20....but looks like an 18. Seller said it was a 19". ???? Other sizes were 12 tom, 14 floor tom. And some mini 12 Zildjian hats and a ride cymbal. Hollywood Ace snare drum.
How could anyone think this was worth $40????? I made an offer of $600 (+) but never heard back. 2 others I know responded as well.... no reply. Ads were removed within 24 hrs. A 30 minute trip to Reverb would have
given the seller plenty of info.

View attachment 456673

Somebody got luuuucky. I'm loving my Stage Bands right now.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's a 3 ply. Hard to tell, but if you close up on the picture with the snares, you can see the three plies by the snare bed. Should I tell the seller? Don't want to be that guy.
It's a Hollywood Ace, so it isn't supposed to have a solid shell, but Slingerland got their shells mixed up often. The giveaway was the date stamp. I've never seen a '60s solid shell with a date stamp. (late '50s, yes.)

jmetatual

Reaction score
I think that's a 3 ply. Hard to tell, but if you close up on the picture with the snares, you can see the three plies by the snare bed. Should I tell the seller? Don't want to be that guy.
It's a Hollywood Ace, so it isn't supposed to have a solid shell, but Slingerland got their shells mixed up often. The giveaway was the date stamp. I've never seen a '60s solid shell with a date stamp. (late '50s, yes.)
Agreed. Buyer beware.

deegeebee

Reaction score
Don't know much about this era of DW, but seems somewhat unique and potentially underpriced if you are into this sort of thing. Have had this guy ship me a kit before and it went well.

Please view this ad:

Vintage DW 4 PC drums 10/12/14/22" ,

Price: $ 700 Canadian = $530 USD

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't know much about this era of DW, but seems somewhat unique and potentially underpriced if you are into this sort of thing. Have had this guy ship me a kit before and it went well.

Please view this ad:

Vintage DW 4 PC drums 10/12/14/22" ,

Price: $ 700 Canadian = $530 USD

Gone so fast!

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave's Drum Shop in Ottawa, Ontario Canada has a nice 1962 Gretsch Anniversary Sparkle Round Badge 4 piece with original sales receipt below

Also, look at his listing for other vintage drums... maybe something you are interested in..

I am into Ludwigs but wanted to pass on to those interested in Gretsch.

No, I don't have a personal stake in this company but have dealt with him; a good seller.... :happy7:

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dave's Drum Shop in Ottawa, Ontario Canada has a nice 1962 Gretsch Anniversary Sparkle Round Badge 4 piece with original sales receipt below

Also, look at his listing for other vintage drums... maybe something you are interested in..

I am into Ludwigs but wanted to pass on to those interested in Gretsch.

No, I don't have a personal stake in this company but have dealt with him; a good seller.... :happy7:
I've never had a full Gretsch set but I want that one!