Ebay/Craigslist heads up for vintage drums-the official thread

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just realize I had posted this in the modern section instead of vintage. I THINK this is vintage. It's pretty cool either way.

View attachment 462260

He's dropped his price to $780. Seems like a cool guy too. Chatted with him a little cuz I wanted this kit in a BAD way. (I have no PRACTICAL use for it and no extra space for drums I'm not using for my primary musical endeavors).

But it's all original like it came from the store 40 years ago. Including some hollow logo hats and cymbal. This looks awesome to me and I want it to go to a good home so I thought I would share here. Dig it.
Wow, that is a really pretty blue.

jmetatual

Reaction score
Oddball set with the the stage and toms, but that floor tom alone would have me running over there.
'64 - '65 likely on that floor tom. Bass serial is expected for '65. Rich K., do you think the tom mount on the BD is factory? Hard to imagine the factory installing the mount over the badge like that.

Last edited:

Browny

Reaction score
Not mine, but I'd love to have them. It looks like a Slingerland Stage Band setup in 20/12/12/14! with matching snare.
one of my favourite finishes, that Slingerland dark blue sparkle.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
'64 - '65 likely on that floor tom. Bass serial is expected for '65. Rich K., do you think the tom mount on the BD is factory? Hard to imagine the factory installing the mount over the badge like that.
Could be. Could have been 3 pc. with a clip on hoop 12 and the other 12 and floor tom were added. (Assuming there are no extra holes on the bass.) You never know...

jmetatual

Reaction score
Could be. Could have been 3 pc. with a clip on hoop 12 and the other 12 and floor tom were added. (Assuming there are no extra holes on the bass.) You never know...
I agree. Both 12's are the same, left side mounted (note tone controls), so one has likely been added.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
Today, I thought I had scored huge, This B/O set with hardware, cymbals and supra was listed for 100. I texted them early and they replied back later if I would offer 200 as the post was getting a lot of replies. I said yes. Then silence...... They reply a few hours later saying they sold it to someone else who had offered more before I had even contacted them initially. Strange, why ask if I would offer 200 if I was not the inital responder?

Attachments

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Today, I thought I had scored huge, This B/O set with hardware, cymbals and supra was listed for 100. I texted them early and they replied back later if I would offer 200 as the post was getting a lot of replies. I said yes. Then silence...... They reply a few hours later saying they sold it to someone else who had offered more before I had even contacted them initially. Strange, why ask if I would offer 200 if I was not the inital responder?
I really hate when those listings become a bidding war. I’m not here to hassle someone, and I will pay more if they really have something and have no idea, but to go back and forth with me saying “I just got another hundred from someone else, what’s your bid?” That’s what eBay is for.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah man. I feel your pain there.
I had a similar thing happen recently.
Was it on Facebook Marketplace?
I think that platform offers sellers the ability to make any sale into an auction. I'm fine with that, but it lacks the rules and formalities of a site like eBay. Plus, sometimes I wonder if there actually is another buying or the seller is fabricating the whole thing to drive up the price.

It's still fun, nonetheless.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the issue with nice orig kits like this offered at stupidly low prices. Unless you can be there within 30-60 min (and no one else messages in that time) to pick them up and run....you're not going to get them. They're getting dozens of messages within the first 1-2 hours....some of them offering 2x, 3x, 4x and more over the initial asking price. If you even want to be in the running, usually offering at least 50% of the item's market value can get you there. A friend of mine scored an early 60's Gretsch RB kit that was listed for $200. He was the first to make contact. But to ensure he stayed first in line....he offered multiples of that price. What's wrong with offering a "fair" price to a seller who has no clue as to the true value? It doesn't matter so much who messages first....but who messages offering the most. And who cares if the seller was "driving up" the price from $100 to $200....or even to $400? That kit is worth way, way more. Make a fair off and then go get it before someone else makes a "fairer" offer.