Ebay Nightmare

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I figure minus the cost of shipping to Russia, he sat on it for 2 years, he tied up a good amount of $, and sending me something he knew wasn't as described.
I'll offer 11, or it goes back. I doubt he even paid that much as a seller, and in a time when the kits weren't as valuable

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I figure minus the cost of shipping to Russia, he sat on it for 2 years, he tied up a good amount of $, and sending me something he knew wasn't as described.
I'll offer 11, or it goes back. I doubt he even paid that much as a seller, and in a time when the kits weren't as valuable
What he paid for the kit, and how long he sat on it should not be your concern.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
If it was a 14x18 bass drum you would have really lucked out :D
I'm not going to pretend I know why, so why is that? Valuable? I realize that's crazy small, but are there a few floating around?
I'll see if I can find anything on that size.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am totally behind the buyer here - but that kit color is killer.

Also, if you look at one of those last pics, with the toms stacked and the bass to the right, the 2 toms are 21" high and the bass is less. Just sayin........for a large purchase like this, I'd have been asking for more pics, info and confirmation of measurements. Then again, the idiot supposedly did measure and just screwed up.
And his "HD" pics at the end are not that "HD" (see label pic - wtf?)........definitely some red flags here so as to either warrant asking more Q's, or pass on the deal so as to save you headache & grief (and free up $$ for a better purchase) - now you have to jump thru hoops.

I am more interested to know about how this plays out and where you are supposed to send them - I would think L.A. but who knows, comrade!

Luckily, buyer, you can return them. I think there's no way you get them for 1/2.....that's crazy and if you do, sweet.......but we will see.......

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend I know why, so why is that? Valuable? I realize that's crazy small, but are there a few floating around?
I'll see if I can find anything on that size.
Bop kits are very popular right now, especially on this forum, but very hard to find from Tama's Japan-made Starclassics. I'd guess he was suggesting that you could flip the kit to someone on here easily if the bass was bop sized.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I am totally behind the buyer here - but that kit color is killer.

Also, if you look at one of those last pics, with the toms stacked and the bass to the right, the 2 toms are 21" high and the bass is less. Just sayin........for a large purchase like this, I'd have been asking for more pics, info and confirmation of measurements. Then again, the idiot supposedly did measure and just screwed up.
And his "HD" pics at the end are not that "HD" (see label pic - wtf?)........definitely some red flags here so as to either warrant asking more Q's, or pass on the deal so as to save you headache & grief (and free up $$ for a better purchase) - now you have to jump thru hoops.

I am more interested to know about how this plays out and where you are supposed to send them - I would think L.A. but who knows, comrade!

Luckily, buyer, you can return them. I think there's no way you get them for 1/2.....that's crazy and if you do, sweet.......but we will see.......
Some great observers, and valuable lessons I've learned. I guess I did make some mistakes, but I guess as a newb to Ebay, it's going to happen.
As for Russia, I don't even think I could get it there. I went to get a price quote, and from what I gathered, FedEx doesn't ship to Russia anymore.
Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not comfortable sending it back to LA, as I don't know who's going to receive it? He may be someone with morality issues;)
To the member who said it's not my business what he paid. After a min of thought on the matter, I have to respectfully disagree. Breaking even is a whole lot better than losing $.
Am I wrong, or are you the seller? Lol

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bop kits are very popular right now, especially on this forum, but very hard to find from Tama's Japan-made Starclassics. I'd guess he was suggesting that you could flip the kit to someone on here easily if the bass was bop sized.
Not only here.. let's look and take a break from OP's adventure for a second.

In the used market- generally- which used sets bring the most.
In Rogers? Slingerland? Gretsch? Ludwig?
Yeah. 18" set bring record amounts. Right? in any brand. Yet everyone wants the 22" - which is ok- and necessary to play "gimme three steps" at the local firehall.
But really which sets bring the most used.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Not only here.. let's look and take a break from OP's adventure for a second.

In the used market- generally- which used sets bring the most.
In Rogers? Slingerland? Gretsch? Ludwig?
Yeah. 18" set bring record amounts. Right? in any brand. Yet everyone wants the 22" - which is ok- and necessary to play "gimme three steps" at the local firehall.
But really which sets bring the most used.
I'm hoping Bubinga kits in a few years.
The older generation, who for the most part, wants vintage kits seem to be a dying breed (except maybe here, and other forums)
I compare it to vintage pre serial 602's. The new ME are going for more (unless it's in brand new condition)
From the 1st time I heard Bubinga, I was in love with that sound. They eventually will no longer be produced (same as vintage) however I was speaking to an older guy who buys, and sells vintage. He was telling me the new kits are made much better, and he's not getting the $ he once did, and it's more of a grind.
He wants me to help him get going on Bubinga. I know a guy out here who is sitting on a mound of old, vintage Rodgers. He had said the same. I'm going to see what I can do for both these guys. If it works out, that would be nice.
I don't expect anything, with that, as I don't like counting chickens.
Just saying.
I don't know much about vintage, but if it's worth my while, it maybe time to start

Toast Tee

Reaction score

Attachments

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe get a discount and move on; shipping drums back; if they get damaged or worse yet lost it will be a deal that never ends. But you are owed a rebate for misinformation in the ad.
Lot of funk/jazz drummers would love that set.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed that. Do you know if Tama made a Bop Bubinga?

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Ok, I get it. I'm not Steve Gadd. Geez.
What a great, creative, pocket player. One of my favorites.
Imagine he was using Bubinga. Geez, he'd be that much better! ;)

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the seller is sharp and finds you posting here, he can use all your comments against you with Ebay.....ie trying to get the kit for half the listed price....wouldn't we all for a small 2" + color difference. For all Ebay knows you may have known what the true sizes were but ordered it with the intention of screaming foul and getting a big rebate. Don't create any additional obstacles to your case.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some great observers, and valuable lessons I've learned. I guess I did make some mistakes, but I guess as a newb to Ebay, it's going to happen.
As for Russia, I don't even think I could get it there. I went to get a price quote, and from what I gathered, FedEx doesn't ship to Russia anymore.
Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not comfortable sending it back to LA, as I don't know who's going to receive it? He may be someone with morality issues;)
To the member who said it's not my business what he paid. After a min of thought on the matter, I have to respectfully disagree. Breaking even is a whole lot better than losing $.
Am I wrong, or are you the seller? Lol
I think when you are in that situation you think about everything because you spent the money. So I agree with you Toast tee in also analyzing his loss or gain. Call me a sucker but I always try to look at the other side as well. When it comes to money we analyze every angle. Also you state you made mistakes. I don't see where! You followed the procedures when buying on eBay. You saw something you liked, the seller had good ratings, you thought his description was accurate and period. You did it all right!

Toast Tee

Reaction score
If the seller is sharp and finds you posting here, he can use all your comments against you with Ebay.....ie trying to get the kit for half the listed price....wouldn't we all for a small 2" + color difference. For all Ebay knows you may have known what the true sizes were but ordered it with the intention of screaming foul and getting a big rebate. Don't create any additional obstacles to your case.
According to Ebay, you can negotiate everything. I'm just asking opinions on how I should go about this. Ebay would rather make some $, than none.
My plan of now, is to return the kit. The seller had told me he'd "make it right". Well if he's willing to come to an agreement, it can workout. If not, I lose no $, just a headach.
As for the shipping. I only opened 1 of the boxes. I will pack it exactly as I got it. I have on video exactly how he packed it.
Am I slandering him? No
Am I doing anything against Ebay policy? Nope!
I'm asking people, who's opinion I respect, for help.
There is nothing wrong with what I'm doing, unless you can show me the contrary

Latest posts