Ebayer quits after 20 yrs - cracked Tama Superstar toms - RESOLVED FOR BUYER.......For sale again w/o major flaws??

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Although the damage should have been divulged, it is true that it is totally repairable. Plywood IS wood that is glued together, so correcting ply separation is regluing it. As for cracks, I've had two such cases: one where I closed a car trunk on a drum... fixed that myself; and a 1960s Gon Bop set of bongos, that one was more worrisome because they're tuned high with thick heads. I had a woodworking pro do that one. That was 25 years ago and it remains solid to this day.
Thing is, repaired drums never bring near as much money as the original thing in good condition. In nearly all cases repairs are detectable and someone will find that "work" was done. If I'm paying all the money for a decent original drum, a repaired shell (or plugs, or re-wrap, or re-cut edges) or other alterations significantly reduces the value. There are just too many nice, fully original 80's Tama Superstar drums still out there. Damaged ones, whether repaired or not, just don't have the same demand or bring serious money. Let the original seller foot the full bill for repairing these drums....then sell them on Ebay with full disclosure of said repairs.

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wouldn't be grand if he gets a bunch of very detailed questions about all of the specific problems in the first buyers pictures? I may or may not have primed the pump... So what would be the harm in asking him a bunch of questions?

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't be grand if he gets a bunch of very detailed questions about all of the specific problems in the first buyers pictures? I may or may not have primed the pump... So what would be the harm in asking him a bunch of questions?
Not likely to happen as the first buyer's "bail me out" auction is not linked in any way to the seller's latest listing. All one could determine by a search of the seller is that the last auction ended up having a return. No record of that previous snafu other than seller stating they were aggrieved by a "negligent and abusive" buyer in the last auction. It's always the other guy's fault. And the Ebay circle of life continues....so that the next group of buyers remain clueless. Maybe the next buyer settles for the $200 rebate and keeps the drums?

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
What I am getting at is people who have seen this thread asking the seller very specific questions regarding the damage that we know about. Wink. Wink. Nudge. Nudge. Say no mooore...

Latest posts