header.nohb.html

Ed Thigpen brushes

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Looking for the Vic Firth Ed Thigpen brushes with the wood/rubber handle. Either NOS or used in good condition.
Get in line LOL. Seriously, though, they are out there. Check Reverb and eBay periodically.

I have enough pairs that I stockpiled to get me through to my last days (but I am 74, so it's not like a warehouse.) I have been playing with other brushes (the also no longer made, but sometimes available Zildjian retractables or the Vic Firth HB are what I use as substitutes.) I could get by with using my remaining Ed Thigpens, but I wanted to make sure that if something catastrophic happened to my stash I would already be accustomed to using other brushes.)

drummer083

Reaction score
Get in line LOL. Seriously, though, they are out there. Check Reverb and eBay periodically.

I have enough pairs that I stockpiled to get me through to my last days (but I am 74, so it's not like a warehouse.) I have been playing with other brushes (the also no longer made, but sometimes available Zildjian retractables or the Vic Firth HB are what I use as substitutes.) I could get by with using my remaining Ed Thigpens, but I wanted to make sure that if something catastrophic happened to my stash I would already be accustomed to using other brushes.)
I'm on my last pair, so I've ordered a couple different pair to get myself used to something else. Nothing will ever beat the Ed Thigpens. Mike, how do the Vic HB's compare to the Thigpen's for you?

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm on my last pair, so I've ordered a couple different pair to get myself used to something else. Nothing will ever beat the Ed Thigpens. Mike, how do the Vic HB's compare to the Thigpen's for you?
They are a distant second of third. I prefer the Zildjian ones more. As you said, NOTHING will ever beat the Ed Thigpens.

gutenberg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You mean these?
6D5E9BE5-B3D7-4E65-A1D0-294E19D474BB.jpeg

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking for the Vic Firth Ed Thigpen brushes with the wood/rubber handle. Either NOS or used in good condition.
ah, I misread your comment. VF does make a brush in this style, they call it the Legacy Brush. I had a pair, but stopped using them, the bottom brush part fell out. Maybe just a wonky pair.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
ah, I misread your comment. VF does make a brush in this style, they call it the Legacy Brush. I had a pair, but stopped using them, the bottom brush part fell out. Maybe just a wonky pair.
The VF legacy was an all wood handle and one of the worst (in my opinion) brushes ever designed and foisted upon the public. Nothing like the Ed Thigpen. I was sorely disappointed in the Legacy I purchased.