Eddie Hoh w/ Modern Folk Quartet, Greenwich Village 1966

Way Out Wardell

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just came across these photos of Eddie Hoh drumming with the Modern Folk Quartet at the Night Owl Cafe in the Village, '66. MFQ went 'electric' in '65 and hired Eddie after seeing him with Joel Scott Hill and Lee Michaels. Spector was interested in producing them, but it didn't really go anywhere and the group went on hiatus as the individual members went on to play with others. L-R: Cyrus Faryar, Jerry Yester, Henry Diltz, Chip Douglas and Eddie.
Eddie then joined the Mamas and Papas as a touring drummer and played with Gene Clark for a short period, then Chip Douglas brought Eddie on to drum on Monkees recordings.
Eddie told me that he played a Gretsch set in peacock sparkle, and played a blue Rogers set with the M&P and Monkees. He bought another Gretsch set like it years later from Bonzoleum (who has the story on his video channel)
gettyimages-1178100420-2048x2048.jpg
gettyimages-1178100406-2048x2048.jpg

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listed as "Fast Eddie Hoh" he played on the Al Kooper-Mike Bloomfield-Stephen Stills LP "Super Session." Never knew who he was.

Would any drummer be nicknamed "Slow Eddie"? (I know Eric Clapton was "Slowhand" :) )

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great pics! I was just watching Eddie with the Mamas and Papas at Monterey Pop this past weekend. He was totally driving the band. You can even see Hal Blaine watching Eddie play.

KevinD

Reaction score
He was a great drummer, (Monkees "Goin' Down" and "Love is only Sleeping" are just two standout performances among many). He had disappeared for a long time and fell on hard times, then there was a thread about 10 years on some drum forum where a (I believe) police officer/music fan from the area where he was living (in the midwest somewhere) found out who he was and tried to help him get back on his feet. Sadly he passed away only a few years later.

I remember reading where he said they called him "fast Eddie" not because of the way he played, drums, but for the way he had with the ladies

EDIT: Found that thread, surprisingly it is still in existence. (wasn't a drum forum though) Long thread, lots of people chiming in about him, interesting in the least.

The link to the EDDIE HOH THREAD

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's a pic of Eddie Hoh as a member of Gene Clark's band at the Whisky A-Go-Go just 2 months after Monterey Pop.
From left to right are Clarence White, Eddie Hoh on drums, Gene and John York on bass.

image.jpg

Last edited:

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of Eddie Hoh as a member of Gene Clark's with his band at the Whisky A-Go-Go just 2 months after Monterey Pop.
From left to right are Clarence White, Eddie Hoh on drums, Gene and John York on bass.

View attachment 481777
Didn't Clarence White and John York end up in one incarnation of the Byrds (w/out Gene Clark)?

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of tunes featuring "Fast" Eddie Hoh off Lee Michaels' Carnival of Life album. (One of my very favorite albums of the '60s.)