Edge Cut Out Cymbals

IJR

Reaction score
Mel Lewis had a famous A Zildjian ride with a cutout that darkened it.

I've seen other drummers such as Antonio Sanchez with rides with cutouts.

I have a 17" crash that was given to me that I repaired that has been one of my favorite cymbals for years. The cutout lowered the pitch, improved stick sound, and added complexity.

I am aware various cymbal offerings with many holes in the body (o-zone, efx, etc.).

I wonder if anyone has intentionally made cut outs as if repairing an edge crack.

Does anyone here play repaired-edge type cymbals?

Latdrummer

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has intentionally made cut outs as if repairing an edge crack.
No and I would never do it, I trust the manufacturer’s intention and expertise in delivering a cymbal that sounds the best way possible as it comes from the factory. This is also the reason I would never add rivets or make any modification. I like my cymbals stock and naturally aged. Of course a less-than-good sounding cymbal could benefit from some modification, but it’s easier to just choose the right cymbal from the start.

Does anyone here play repaired-edge type cymbals?
Not currently but I wouldn’t oppose to using a repaired cymbal if it has the right sound and the price is also right.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Regularly.

I have never cut out a notch from an undamaged cymbal, but have cut notches out of many cymbals with edge cracks.

Just last night I had a session with my group and used two cymbals with cutouts, a 19" Dark Energy Crash with a small notch, and an 18" Dark Energy Crash with a bunch of metal removed. Both sound great - the 19" is riveted and makes a stellar little crash-ride, and the 18" is a perfect quick, trashy crash.
Birdseye-Paiste.jpg

hardbat

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how a cutout is likely to affect a cymbal's sound? I have an 18" old K with about a 3/4" edge crack that I'm thinking of having cut out.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heather Stine worked three Paiste Twenty cymbals for me sometime during the past two months.
The 20 has a circle cutout added.
It adds a touch of interesting complexity to the cymbal.
Nice stick and a very warm crash.

2F1BC26C-0D56-488C-A3F1-3D931484D1A5.jpeg

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never used a cymbal with a repaired edge (whenever I broke a cymbal the break was always circumferential), but Krupa did:

Gene_repaired cymbal.jpg

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how a cutout is likely to affect a cymbal's sound? I have an 18" old K with about a 3/4" edge crack that I'm thinking of having cut out.
Generally the cymbal will end up:
- slightly drier and quieter
- slightly more complex
- slightly looser (crashes open up a bit easier)

But, I agree with Sinclair that the changes are subtle.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd get that welded..at Jakes. (I say that but don't do it myself... bit of work contacting getting it to him and getting it back...) Short of that I'd drill a hole, use a rivet to sizzle and not; while gathering the gumption to send it to Jake.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd get that welded..at Jakes. (I say that but don't do it myself... bit of work contacting getting it to him and getting it back...) Short of that I'd drill a hole, use a rivet to sizzle and not; while gathering the gumption to send it to Jake.
Nah - get out the Dremel, put a stone metal-cutting wheel on there, mark your cut line with a Sharpie, and go to town. It's fun! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

healthie1

Reaction score
Nah - get out the Dremel, put a stone metal-cutting wheel on there, mark your cut line with a Sharpie, and go to town. It's fun! ;)
Do you have a dremil you'd recommend? Have several cymbals with repair-able cracks. sand afterwards?

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, there have been a few.
This beast came to me as a 18 Paiste ColorSound Power Crash with large nasty edge crack tear/flap.
First trip to the shop I sculped out the crack/tear/flap. It went to the drum room for about two songs, then to the corner where it sat for months.
Bored and looking for a project, back to the shop to meet Mr furniture stripper. Three applications to get rid of the ColorSound RED, oye the headache. Back to the drum room, better, but still not my cup of tea. Into the corner again, over a year this time I think, maybe more.
Another Sunday afternoon looking for a project, down and dirty Ozoned that baby, to the drum room, first song, perfect! It gets a lot of kit time, even goes to the studio.
20190301_212431.jpg

IJR

Reaction score
Generally the cymbal will end up:
- slightly drier and quieter
- slightly more complex
- slightly looser (crashes open up a bit easier)

But, I agree with Sinclair that the changes are subtle.
My cutout cymbal was effected this way. It's counterintuitive that the stick sound gets drier, yet the crash opens up easier.