Edge Cut Out Cymbals

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you have a dremil you'd recommend? Have several cymbals with repair-able cracks. sand afterwards?
Mines an older model but it looks very comparable to a 3000. ??

I really think any of them would do the job, though.

I didn’t sand, but it would help to smooth out some of the rough spots, if that matters to you.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My cutout cymbal was effected this way. It's counterintuitive that the stick sound gets drier, yet the crash opens up easier.
Agree. But when I thought about it after the fact it made sense. The energy waves get to the notch and stop or are redirected. This makes the sound quicker and trashier. The edge is now noncontinuous so the edge is more flexible and that helps to facilitate the crash.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 20 has a circle cutout added.
It adds a touch of interesting complexity to the cymbal.
Nice stick and a very warm crash.
View attachment 517547
I've thought of doing this but with two more holes spread evenly on just one side of a 20 or 22" ride.
In theory a few things should happen. It would add complexity and a tashier edge crash and drop the pitch slightly due to the reduce weight. The cymbal would rest with the holes opposite the playing area so you wouldn't have to play around them. Did you hear any of this happening with the one hole?

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've thought of doing this but with two more holes spread evenly on just one side of a 20 or 22" ride.
In theory a few things should happen. It would add complexity and a tashier edge crash and drop the pitch slightly due to the reduce weight. The cymbal would rest with the holes opposite the playing area so you wouldn't have to play around them. Did you hear any of this happening with the one hole?

Sabian made that Legacy Ozone ride for awhile, it had five big holes on one side. I had one, and it’s still one of the better Sabians I’ve played.

egw

Reaction score
The fellows from cymbalholic might remember this one: my replica of the Mel A. They all thought I was out of mind, they might have been right. For what it's worth. the cymbal had edge cracks to begin with, so it's not like I destroyed a perfectly good cymbal for nothing.
DSC_0688.JPG
DSC_0693.JPG
DSC_0692.JPG
DSC_0691.JPG

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
egw...I wouldn't want to reach into my cymbal bag to grab that one without my new Dave Grohl drumming gloves on, and or course my Weckl "Kickers" too.

Sabian made that Legacy Ozone ride for awhile, it had five big holes on one side. I had one, and it’s still one of the better Sabians I’ve played.
I need to get out more!