Edges w/o a router?

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
I took advantage of Black swamps shorty shell sale (14x3 7/8) with the idea that at 15 a shell I could experiment and learn how to edge...only i only have a dremel and a drill....is it possible to do a usable job using them? I remember reading in NSMD some guy doing edges on some kents with just a razor blade...

THanks in advance?

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I have cleaned up edges with a rasp file. Don't know about a Dremmel, seems unstable. A file is nice and long so you can always see the angles.
Practice, find out what is do-able

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
A good hand wood worker could do edges with a draw knife (razor sharp). It would be a real challenge with a razor.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
No, I don't think it's feasible to do edges with a razor blade. MAYBE a file, but still, you're not going to be able to get it even enough to tune up properly.

Depending on which Dremel you have, you might be able to get the 231 router table attachment.

thanks...i may get the table (I'm between Dremels...but I think the 3000 or 4000 will work w/it)...I have an old junk Pearl shell I stripped for parts...it might be the perfect test dummy...this will probably be a fall project.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
A Stanley Compass Plane is about the only hand tool other than a file that would work. A draw knive would not be my choice at all. It is for cutting with the grain and would not do well with plywood.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
It would be time consuming done by hand, but possibly worth the experience. If I were going to try it with, say, a vintage round-over, I'd first make a check guide. A properly measured and well-cut mated notch in a piece of wood would work. Then it's sand, check, sand check ... it's a good deal of work. When the overall shape looked good all the way around, I'd true the apex flat (1/16"-1/8"), color that flat edge with a marking pen, and then hand sand that down carefully so that just a very thin color line remained, checking for true in the process using the flashlight method.

Probably best to buy a router :p

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i think it was here years ago when i was in the same predicament, and someone suggested a Stanley Surform shaver

its do-able, and i found the best technique was to use circular swiping motions at an angle, with a good raking light so you can see your progress... but it takes forever, and definitely has a "hand tool kludge" appearance

i now have 7 routers... and a Surform shaver : )
surform.jpg

Barden

Reaction score
If you have access to some scrap wood blocks you could make a jig that uses only sand paper. Have two vertical pieces of wood sandwich a third piece at your desired angle (45?). You can use adhesive spray to mount sandpaper on the angled piece or find a way that suits you for holding the paper. You'll be shifting it and swapping it often. The vertical pieces register off the face of the shell opposite the edge you're working on. You can work on one area at a time and work up to a reference line sliding the jig along the shell. Just keep the vertical pieces in contact with the face of the shell.

There isn't that much wood to remove so it won't take forever. The sandpaper won't tear out the grain and you can move to a finer grit once you're close to your reference line.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I did the reso edge of a vintage Slingy tom once by hand. It wasn't that bad but wasn't "good" like the batter side. It sounded fine.

Dremel makes a router attachment - I've never used it but I bet you could totally do edges with one. I have a Dremel and that thing is awesome!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds like a great way to really screw up and edge.
Unless you have a lot of fine woodworking experience, the amount of problems you would come across would make this project extremely difficult. You be better off buying a used table top router and learning how to use that...