Edit feature request

Titus Pullo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've noticed more forums than not have the Edit feature configured in such a way as to implement a time to edit window before the post is tagged with some form of "Edited at: TIME" is appended to the post. It varies on forums, and is anywhere from an entire day down to 5 minutes.

It's worse here because the Edited tag is inside a glaringly large orange banner.

Could someone look into setting the Edit feature up so that some amount of time, say minutes to an hour, is allowed to edit a post before the tag goes along the bottom?

Or, if that's not possible, make the tag less obtrusive. As it is, if you correct a typo it's as if you've committed a forum posting felony and have to wear stripes. Not a big deal, but this is the only forum I can think of where editing a mistake, or changing your mind about posting something, is rewarded with a banner.

Thanks!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
In one of the earlier versions of this forum you could edit a post without it being noted up until the time someone added a new post to that thread. That was handy for fixing typos because you usually had at least a few minutes to make corrections until someone else added a new post.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure may be the way this version of the software is, will see if I can find out, Ben

Titus Pullo

DFO Master
Reaction score
This pertains to an earlier version of the SW, but I'd wager some or all of it still applies.

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/304793-time-limits-for-editing-posts/

You could probably allow Groups to delete (or not) posts there too. I think everyone should have that ability, or not, with perhaps the same time limit on deletion as editing without a banner notice of the edit.

Ah screw it, just leave it as is.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I'd certainly like it changed (if convenient) because I tend to re-read what I've just posted and despite my best pre-posting proof reading efforts (what a mouthful) I often find something I need to fix up. Speling error, simple tpyo, whatever. So...one vote for at least seeing if it is a setting you can change. Thanks.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I reset the time limit to 180 minutes for all groups, it was set at 0, which is supposed to be non limiting, but maybe there is a glitch, Ben

ineedmajorchops

Reaction score
I agree with Zensat. I just posted something today a few hours ago and I cannot delete it or change it. No one has posted a reply. I think the editing feature should have no time limit regardless of the edit time banner (I agree with Titus Pallo- it's a bit unappealing). If there is any other way of deleting/or change my post could somebody let me know?

homeby5

DFO Master
Reaction score
ineedmajorchops said:
I agree with Zensat. I just posted something today a few hours ago and I cannot delete it or change it. No one has posted a reply. I think the editing feature should have no time limit regardless of the edit time banner (I agree with Titus Pallo- it's a bit unappealing). If there is any other way of deleting/or change my post could somebody let me know?
Are you saying you can't edit your post? I've always been able to......but of course I get the banner.....

ineedmajorchops

Reaction score
Yes, I cannot edit my post. After 3 hours after you post there seems to be no options to edit.

Titus Pullo

DFO Master
Reaction score
ineedmajorchops said:
Yes, I cannot edit my post. After 3 hours after you post there seems to be no options to edit.
The setting was changed to 180 minutes for editing your post; consequently, the post is no longer user-editable at minute 181.

My guess is that altering the banner that indicates a post has been edited would require changes to HTML or a style sheet. I'm unsure how to allow full editing of a post without a banner, for a set time or not, but I know it's possible because this is one of the only forums I visit that doesn't allow it.

As for soft/hard deletion, it's a matter of modifying a Group permission set.

http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-4081-ipboard-310-dev-update-soft-delete/

If the objective here is to allow paying members, of whatever level -- and only paying members -- this ability, then fine. However, if it's not, then all users should be able to delete their content. Allowing some members the option to delete posts willy-nilly and not others is hardly a level playing field. I'd be happy with removing the ability to delete posts altogether if editing is allowed without a notice banner for a set period of time.

It used to be a user could delete posts _and threads of his/her creation. This is fine, too, but it should be equal opportunity or not at all.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I have reset the edit time to 0 (zero) according to the software that has no time limit to edit a post. All members have the same abilities on the forum.

There is no difference. Meaning one group can do this or that while the others can't.

As far as the banner goes, don't know if it can be changed.

Latest posts