header.nohb.html

Edrums and technique

Bobby

Reaction score
We all know mesh head don't play like regular acoustic heads but do you think they hurt your technique? I'm currently not gigging for personal reasons so most of my playing is on my Roland kit at home. The other night I jammed with some buddies and noticed my chops weren't "up to par". It wasn't drastic or alarming. I just didn't execute like I do when I'm regularly gigging. Anyone notice this in their playing?

S

swarfrat

I'm by no means an expert. I don't think the pads are any worse than a practice pad but.... the cymbals, and hats in particular absofreakinglutely. ESPECIALLY if you're a beginner - you flat out cannot learn good hat foot control on e-hats. Might as well be playing Rock Band for all the skill transferrance you get.

Which is the reason I'm so excited about the Zildjian L80's. I've got electronic pads and the LV38 set for practice. I can practice after the kid is in bed (provided he is actually asleep.) but they're loud enough for unmic'd singing and acoustic guitar volume levels.

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Dunno if they'll hurt your technique per se..... but you do need to *adapt* a bit when switching between the two.

-Ryan

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've noticed that I've had to change the way I play my electronic hi-hat (Roland VH-12) compared to an acoustic hi-hat to get similar results. I'm pretty much playing my electronic kit exclusively these days so I bet there will be some adjustment if I ever need to go back to an acoustic hi-hat. The same goes for electronic cymbals, especially when triggering the bell on my electronic ride. It's not the same as playing acoustic cymbals. Regarding mesh heads, I can play faster on them than I can on conventional heads. I'm sure this would make a difference if I were to go back to an acoustic kit at this time.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
Many things one does on an electronic kit are the same as with acoustic drums. However, there are slight (and sometimes more than slight) modifications in technique that must be made between the two. For working on fundamentals like independence and coordinated independence, leading with different limbs, rudiments, voicing, and dynamics, electronic drums are fine, especially if you're using one of the higher-end kits. I'd say that's the main problem with current electronic drum offerings. There is no low and medium end because those kits are toy-like and limiting. Once you get into the $5,000 USD and above range, the pads get bigger, the responsiveness and playability get better, and generally you can use this class of e-kit to reasonably mimic acoustic drums for practicing. In other words, the price-to-performance ratio of electronic drums is very poor as compared with acoustic drums.

If all you want to do is work on the basics without the sense of more complex and musical attributes (dynamics, texture, subtle articulations, etc), then just about any electronic kit will do. Heck, for that matter, silent pads work just as well. Once you start practicing in musical ways instead of just working on technical exercises, that's where the pitfalls of lower end electronic drums really start to show. Some will argue that even when doing mere exercises, one should always play to maximize musical phrasing and musicality in general. I tend to agree and if that's your approach, then low end electronic drums don't but it. But, for repetitive, mechanical exercises, as noted, just about any e-kit facilitates this kind of practice. What you have to be careful of is realizing that what you put in is not what comes out. Low end electronic kits are totally incapable of accurately interpreting subtle dynamics, texture, and subtle sticking. And, of course, brushes are out.