Effects, Spirit of Radio, Rush

Joe61

Reaction score
One of the covers my band plays is Spirit of Radio. I saw a music video where Neil plays a midi pad with samples that sound like triangle notes. Its the first part of the two bridges in the tune. I would like to incorporate this in my playing. Does anyone here have a suggestion on how to obtain this effect? Is it indeed a triangle? I recently purchased a Roland SPD-SX and learning how to use it. I have had success creating effects with the record feature. Any Ideas how I might get this done? I don't have one but could a glockenspiel be used as a substitute?

Joe

Masecar

Reaction score
It's a glockenspiel sound, and the controller pad is a MalletKat, which is sending MIDI to Ableton Live. He also uses the MalletKat to play the marimba during drum solos, and to trigger the occasional wind chime or thunderclap sample.

I have a good quality glockenspiel for my Rush tribute act. The student bell kits don't project very well, but I found a pro-grade Musser glock for like sixty bucks on Facebook that sounds great when everything else is going.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used a student grade glockenspiel for my rush tribute back in the day - worked ok. I have those notes written down somewhere if you need ‘em.

Joe61

Reaction score
I used a student grade glockenspiel for my rush tribute back in the day - worked ok. I have those notes written down somewhere if you need ‘em.
If those notes are handy yes please. It will surely help.
Thank You

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah me too, I bought a set of Ludwig Bells in 1980 when my band did Spirit of The Radio. The only issue you will have is miking the bells to be heard. I sang at the drums also, but not in that song, so it was fairly simple for me to swing the Shure SM58 vocal mic down over the bells.