Elbow pain from ride

MVE

Reaction score
Help, I’m new to drums. Only a few months of learning drums, but a lifelong bass player and musician.
Anyway, trying to keep a jazz rhythm going on the ride seems to leave my right elbow in serious pain.
Am I doing something wrong with my technique? Is there an ideal position and angle I should be trying for?
I think it has something to do with the way I have to point my wrist out farther to the right to reach the ride.
Anyway, any suggestions you might be able to give me would be very much appreciated.
Thank you for your help.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your natural reach where its comfortable. This can take take time and involve trying different heights , angles of cymbal and distance from you. There isnt a one position fits all.

Reactions: MVE

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
trying to keep a jazz rhythm
Are you playing along with something? A recording or bass player in the room..
How about putting a nice easy going record on and playing along.

Something from umm 1953.

..and Relaxin'
and letting Your ears...
move your wrist arm hand

comes from the brain
hand is just along
for the Ride

now see
you're playing with your ears.

your ears and brain are (what's moving your hand
not the other way around

protect your brain
: )

(it can wear out too)
(but thankfully, it's usually the last to go
; )

Last edited:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Help, I’m new to drums. Only a few months of learning drums, but a lifelong bass player and musician.
Anyway, trying to keep a jazz rhythm going on the ride seems to leave my right elbow in serious pain.
Am I doing something wrong with my technique? Is there an ideal position and angle I should be trying for?
I think it has something to do with the way I have to point my wrist out farther to the right to reach the ride.
Anyway, any suggestions you might be able to give me would be very much appreciated.
Thank you for your help.
- Post some video of you playing. Shoot it from your left, so we can see how your body is positioned relative to the other drums and the stool. Also, are you hunching your shoulders?

MVE

Reaction score
Are you playing along with something? A recording or bass player in the room..
How about putting a nice easy going record on and playing along.

Something from umm 1953.

..and Relaxin'
and letting Your ears...
move your wrist arm hand

comes from the brain
hand is just along
for the Ride

now see
you're playing with your ears.

your ears and brain are moving your hand
not the other way around

protect your brain
: )
Yeah, Im “trying” to play Cherokee at 220bpm. Lol
(I know, its ambitious. But Im trying to record myself playing all instruments: drums, bass, guitar and piano) Don’t worry, Im not trying to play it like Max Roach or anything. Im just trying keep the beat well enough to play the other instruments along to.)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew it ; )

~
Oh you're trying to put Cherokee together; . just play quarter notes
skip a few
bounce the others
(wait that's my trick.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

wanna watch a Pro bounce?

If he can do it you can
beginning and at 6:25 if skip ahead

bounce dribble triplets

Last edited:

MVE

Reaction score
- Post some video of you playing. Shoot it from your left, so we can see how your body is positioned relative to the other drums and the stool. Also, are you hunching your shoulders?
Will do, thanks.
But it’ll have to wait until tomorrow as family is sleeping.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This could be the Ulnar nerve in your arm. Years ago I had pain in my right arm and it got to the point of inhibiting movement. I saw my physician and he suggested physical therapy which, coupled with diligent home exercises, ended up resolving the issue in about two months.

If making adjustments doesn't help, you may want to get it checked out.

1611975265738.jpeg

Pibroch

Reaction score
Looks to me like your ride (and floor tom) are way to close to you. If you're out of space laterally try mounting the ride more in front of you, higher so it clears your drums, and sloping down towards you. (In your photo you look cramped up with your elbow too bent and upper arm too close to your side).

Ideally, if you're able, move your kit to create more room on the right hand side.

Last edited:

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
220 bpm is really fast for a relative beginner!

Slow it down, like way down and really get the spang-a-lang going nice and easy. Loosen up your grip, French style, and really feel that jazz rhythm on the ride. If your to tight, or your using your arm strength, you’ll never do 220 bpm. It’s really about being loose and supple at the wrist. The arm shouldn’t play much of a role if any. So find a position that your arm is comfortable and just use the wrist, spang-a-lang, spang-a-lang, feel it and get it right. Speed will come later.

Man, it takes some time to get up to 220!

toddbishop

Reaction score
Slow it down and don't try to get too cute with your technique-- i.e., turn off the youtube "helper" videos. Just hit the thing. Relax and economize your motion. Your hand position looks fine in the still photo.

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
That scares me.
I became a former thrash/death metal bassist because of carpal tunnel pain.
I hope I don't suffer a "drummer's elbow" pain, because then I would
have to stop playing music if I develop any pain while I play the drums.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you for your help.
You should have no pain while playing the drums. Your arms, wrists and hands should be relaxed and free of muscle tension. When playing the ride, our elbow should be hanging down at your side and your arm, wrist and hand should be in a relaxed, natural position. You shouldn’t put any part of your arm, wrist or hand in an awkward, strained or unnatural position to reach the ride cymbal.

This is a great video on hand technique. The first few minutes talks about ergonomic hand positioning:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
See a teacher! Video lessons are good.

If that's not possible right now, try remvoing the second rack tom and position your ride further in.
No metronome or play-alongs for you until this problem is solved :)

I would follow this routine whenever you want to practise the ride:
- let your arm with stick hang loosely to the side
- raise the lower arm up to horizontal, thumb should be on top of the stick naturally.
- Where does the stick hit? Place your cymbal there.
- Get the french grip motion (wrist rotation) happening, no arm movement, fingers only holding the stick loosely. Let the stick bounce. Quarter notes only.

MVE

Reaction score
My problem seems to be the flexing back of the wrist causing overuse of my extendor carpi radialis. (Aka tennis elbow)
I wouldn’t have any issue if the ride was exactly where the 13” is, but I like the 13, especially for this song as I like to do a little tom thing on the ii-V-I parts.
I guess I just need to find a ride cymbal position that doesn’t necessitate back flexing my wrist.
Thank you all for the guidance.
Its been a big help.

MVE

Reaction score
That scares me.
I became a former thrash/death metal bassist because of carpal tunnel pain.
I hope I don't suffer a "drummer's elbow" pain, because then I would
have to stop playing music if I develop any pain while I play the drums.
Almost all tendon pains can be fixed by adjusting your playing technique to avoid the movement that is causing the issue. Its nothing to be afraid of, just part of the process of learning how to play any instrument.