Electronic drum set for quiet practice?

JMSpider

Reaction score
I'm looking to get an electronic drum set so that I can practice in my room without waking up my sleeping little brothers and move my acoustic set to the basement. I'm looking to spend around $400 so does anybody have any recommendations?

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Go to your local store and hit some things. The level of "quietness" will be down to you to be happy with. Don't fall for the "Roland mesh is quiet" ruse. They can should like Tupperware.

As your budget is limited, you will get more for your money buying secondhand.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't mean to be a killjoy but $400 isn't going to buy much, especially if you're an experienced drummer who has enjoyed playing an acoustic kit up until now. Most of the entry-level e-kits that you'll find in that price range are really cheap in terms of sound and quality. Have you thought about outfitting your acoustic kit with Remo SilentStroke heads or some other similar product designed to reduce the volume level?

JMSpider

Reaction score
I don't mean to be a killjoy but $400 isn't going to buy much, especially if you're an experienced drummer who has enjoyed playing an acoustic kit up until now. Most of the entry-level e-kits that you'll find in that price range are really cheap in terms of sound and quality. Have you thought about outfitting your acoustic kit with Remo SilentStroke heads or some other similar product designed to reduce the volume level?
I still want to be able to take the acoustic kit out and gig with it without having to do a head change each time.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Keep and eye on CL for usually cheap options. Just picked up a Roland TD-9 bargain for $150. Mesh snare and rubber pads for the rest.

Note that bass pedal will make the most noise on the floor if you are on an upped level room. I have mine on a rubber pad to help with that.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't fall for the "Roland mesh is quiet" ruse. They can should like Tupperware.
Not sure I agree. Maybe you tune yours too tight. Mine are quiet enough. The bulk of the noise comes from the stands and foot pedals.

So I created a platform like this:

Anyway to the OP, if you have drums in the basement, why mot just get a good practice pad for the room upstairs? Or just play on pillows!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I find the Yamaha sounds good to good enough, especially for quiet practice. I found a DTXexplorer for $90 on my local CL, rubber pads and all single triggers, pretty low end....but the sounds were good and the rubber pads are quiet. No they don't feel like a real set but better than not being able to practice. I have since upgraded the module, snare pad and cymbals, but still rubber.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Same as above. I found a DTX III for $300 with a double bass pedal, and the Yamaha sound system. Yes its the rubber pads, but I'd rather that, then not be able to practice at all.