header.nohb.html

electronic help in the northern Chicago area

skywkr2

Reaction score
I play a td-12 kit and am a complete moron when it come to fiddling with it. I love it but i think its supposed to do it all for me :). Anyway, I want to add a vexepressions pack. Somehow, there already is one on there but i cant remember how it got there. Anybody in the north chicago suburbs want to make a few bucks and download the vex pax, install on my kit and then tweak everything. Someone who likes the electronic part...ie not me

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
skywkr2,

You do realize Vex packs aren't free, right? You must buy each pack, download the pack to your computer, transfer the pack to a Compact Flash card, and then install it from the card onto your TD-12. The TD-12 doesn't have a USB port and only uses Compact Flash cards. You'll need a Compact Flash reader on your computer to transfer the files from the computer to the TD-12. I'm not anywhere near you or otherwise I'd offer to do it for you for free. Just thought you should have some idea of what is involved.

stickinthemud

DFO Master
Reaction score
This from the TD-12 page at the vexpressionsltd.com web site:

Q: What do I need to install V Expressions expansions?
A: Installation requires MIDI connectivity from your personal computer via Firewire, USB or a PCI based midi interface. USB-to-Midi interface cables are available at most music stores for about $39. Alternatively, stand alone sequencers will also transmit our expansion packs. (please see Roland's directions for sequencer usage on page 75 of the TD-12 owner's manual)

You say there is a VEX pack already on the kit, right. So, what, would you like to install more?
I understand your not being "into" messing with electronics. I'm not "into" tuning my drums, either, but I had to learn so I could get the most out of them. I would encourage you to go ahead and go through the learning curve. It will pay off in the long run.

Also, vdrums.com is going to be your best resource for free help.

Best of luck!

skywkr2

Reaction score
thanks guys. i knew that would be the answer but i am lazy and when i read those instructions my eyes glaze over...

flurbs

Reaction score
skywkr2 said:
thanks guys. i knew that would be the answer but i am lazy and when i read those instructions my eyes glaze over...
It's a miracle you could even turn on your computer and get online to post this thread... :laughing1:

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
Stickinthemud,

Is it true that you can't copy Vex packs to Compact Flash and install them directly on the module? Do you know if the packs are in sysex or v-drums format? I'd think you could install either directly on the module, but perhaps I'm wrong. Worth knowing in advance before buying the Vex packs though.

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of these packs. They don't do anything more than what you can do yourself and many of the preset kits in the module can be edited fairiy quickly. My other concern with the Vex demos I've heard is they seem to program lots of effects into their kits. Now true enough, one can manually remove the effects, but if you're going to take the time to customize a Vex kit, you might as well customize a TD-20/30 preset or build a kit from scratch.

Bottom line: I don't think Vex packs are necessarily any better a starting point than the presets already in the module. In my opinion, a good starting place is to take one of the module's presets that most appeals to you and remove all the effects. I'll repeat that: remove all the effects. Now, tweak the dry drums to sound their best. In some cases, you may want to swap the toms, bass drum, or snare drum from another kit into the kit you're working on. That's an easy skill to learn. You can get vastly better and more personal results doing this than buying a Vex pack.