Elvin Jones’ hi hats on “Fooling Myself”, Tony’s..

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess with the demise of Cymbalholic these discussions default here...

We often fawn over ride cymbals. Tony Williams’ “Nefertiti” 22” K or Roy Haynes’ “Now He Sings, Now He Sobs” 602 flat ride. I’m going to advocate for a special place for the incredible hihat sound Elvin Jones has on the first chorus of this classic pianoless trio date. The entire album displays Elvin in a somewhat uncharacteristic mode of play but outstanding nonetheless. This is some of my favorite playing by him, or anyone else for that matter. The hihats sound heavy. He plays the open-close sound coupled with snare and bass chatter (lots of displaced quarter triplets) in a creatively responsive interplay with Konitz and Sonny Dallas. No need for a comping instrument! Give it a listen and please add your thoughts.

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What makes you think it's heavy? To me it sounds rather low-pitched, maybe larger diamter, but not really heavy; heavier weight would produce more sizzle/clang, this sounds darker, like a model for Steve Jrdan's 17" hats.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Agreed, those don't sound heavy to me at all. They're most likely thin (maybe quite thin, in fact) 14" Ks.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The YouTube video sounds different than the original audio I think. Always hard to tell for sure.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
What makes you think it's heavy? To me it sounds rather low-pitched, maybe larger diamter, but not really heavy; heavier weight would produce more sizzle/clang, this sounds darker, like a model for Steve Jrdan's 17" hats.
Exactly, this reminds me of my current set, 15" paper thins. Low pitch and dark.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it’s the way they jangle together and also when he digs ino the ride they have a chunkier sound.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anything is possible, obviously, but was Elvin ever generally known to play 15s?

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Im wondering if what im hearing is a heavier top and lighter bottom. Seems to be my preference. Not the manufacturers.

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tony...at least medium 15 Ks, I would think? I think that was his preference.
I'd say 14" up to the early 70s with the large yellow kit. Love the sound of his 60s hats, on the heavier side to my ear.

Latest posts