Elvin solo 1973

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Exactly. With Elvin and most great musicians it is about how not what. But copying leads to innovation and evolution so go for it.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow.....still smokin'! Snare head looks smooth.....I wonder what that kit is? 2 up, 2 down......them's a lot of drums.......

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As much as I would love to understand this, I'm still genuinely unable to. I've tried. I just can't wrap my head around it. The incredible genius is there staring me in the face. But my mind can't process all that is going on here. I love jazz. I pretend to be able to play jazz. I can honestly manage quite a bit of it. But this ... and others like it ... out of reach for me.
I've never been able to sit and enjoy this music (there's quite a bit of it out there that falls under this umbrella) as it's beyond me.
Amazing drummer. So far out there that I'm not able to see him.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
.I wonder what that kit is? 2 up, 2 down.....
mid & late 70s it was a stop sign Gretsch with Slingerland holders; Yellow; 8/12 9/13 + twin floors 14x18 BD being the key to portability. All old Ks -3 20s 14s.
Elvin Mj , go to Favorite Things 3/4 and come up thru his discog

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
As much as I would love to understand this, I'm still genuinely unable to. I've tried. I just can't wrap my head around it. The incredible genius is there staring me in the face. But my mind can't process all that is going on here. I love jazz. I pretend to be able to play jazz. I can honestly manage quite a bit of it. But this ... and others like it ... out of reach for me.
I've never been able to sit and enjoy this music (there's quite a bit of it out there that falls under this umbrella) as it's beyond me.
Amazing drummer. So far out there that I'm not able to see him.
I felt the same way when I first heard Elvin in my teens. I thought, "That is so far out, I'll never get it."

Get the John Coltrane Crescent album. Beautiful tunes, medium tempos, no drum solos except for one track. You can really zero in on Elvin's comping, and you can hear his four limb independence very clearly. That record put me in the woodshed for a long time, trying to separate my left hand from my right and still make it swing.

As far as Elvin's soloing, it's impossible to duplicate. Just get your own voice, and if you learned a few things from Elvin, cool.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I felt the same way when I first heard Elvin in my teens. I thought, "That is so far out, I'll never get it."

Get the John Coltrane Crescent album. Beautiful tunes, medium tempos, no drum solos except for one track. You can really zero in on Elvin's comping, and you can hear his four limb independence very clearly. That record put me in the woodshed for a long time, trying to separate my left hand from my right and still make it swing.

As far as Elvin's soloing, it's impossible to duplicate. Just get your own voice, and if you learned a few things from Elvin, cool.
Just downloaded it. I'll study this one for a few playthroughs. Thanks very much.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great playing but the toms really move a lot. Were holders deficient back then or what? My drums dont move nearly that much.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great playing but the toms really move a lot. Were holders deficient back then or what? My drums dont move nearly that much.
Well, it is Elvin, afterall....and he aint pussy-footin' around on that kit. He is wailing.

But, you can find better hardware on an SPL or Groove Percussion drumset today than *some* of the hardware available back in that day...lol.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love his melodic tuning and playing. I cant help but smile, especially at the end when Elvin is so happy.

But I can understand NOT understanding this at first. It is not easy until you enter this unfamiliar language. At first, It can sound like two 5th graders in a back practice room trying to emulate Keith Moon. The other musicians too! But after studying some albums, reading interviews of these musicians, reading articles from DownBeat magazine, taking a few lessons from a bop drummer, seeing live jazz, then it can transform your whole jazz experience. It will never leave you.

I am STILL studying this.

Man, wish our local libraries had drummer studies instead of book studies now.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's not easy to listen to. It's best left for times when you can really dig into it, not necessarily while your eating your corn flakes in the morning.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks, Ron.
The master, ah! I think I have a lot of this on vinyl: the Skyscrapers series on Honeydew, where there's some trio playing but no chordal instrument, heh-heh, even with the quartet material. Eerie stuff at times.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That drum set, or one very much like it that Elvin owned, is now owned by Steve Maxwell and can be seen in the New York store.
It is not for sale.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is from a great movie documentary (pre video) called A Different Drummer. When I was a kid in the 70's I remember being absolutely thrilled when it played on Detroit's Public TV. Years later it came out on video cassette. It's only 30 minutes long. All of the drum publishing houses and catalogues used to sell it. It's well worth buying.

Latest posts