EMAD Batter as Reso?

JMSpider

Reaction score
Has anybody tried to use an EMAD batter head as a resonant head? I was thinking that if I wanted to have an un-ported resonant head that has adjustable dampening then an EMAD batter would work well and if I manage to break the batter head I could take the reso head off and put it on the batter side and just use that.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love EMAD but over time the foam ring can tends to start to slide out of the plastic channel. I wind up put some tape on them to hold in place. Wound be a pain if it was on the Reso side, plus it would look pretty ugly.

SteveB

DFO Star
Reaction score
I know a lot of guys like these as batters but to me they are lifeless with very little volume. It's true that if you are mic'd up in a very loud system you need to do something to the batter to arrest the ring in the head or you'll have feedback city, but in a normal live application you're just killing the volume of the drum...plus I like attack from a head so a P3 is as far as I go (sometimes even a clear Ambassador), with various muffling treatments, from a simple shop rag thrown into the drum up to full on packing blankets courtesy of UHaul.

As a front head I can't imagine how much life that would remove from the drum. Its a big drum and should sound big..for my taste anyway.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like emads as batter-side but they really need used with more of reso head ( like SK's) to generate real tone & I've found a tone I like with a bit more tension on the reso side than is usual for me. aesthetics aside, I doubt the emad would work well as a reso. You could always use an Ambassador on the batter side/emad out front and mic it from the batter side (for really "outside the box"). Or just use a moongel or 2 in a discreet place on the reso head.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with the others that Emad would not be good for the reso. I actually love Emad, the single ply w/thin ring - not the two ply, for a batter head. Just use a single ply Emad with an Ambassador or equal for reso as said above. That's a great-sounding bass drum to my ears.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i ran emads front and back on a 4-ply 26x16 ludwig bass for years. they look sharp on the front as they have a satin finish and take a logo nice.

P1010002.JPG