Embarrassing newbie inlay ?

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kind of embarrassed asking this because the answer might be obvious but here goes.

I asked for inlay for my 18" bass drum hoops.

Gary sent 3- 54" long strips.

But those strips won't fit the circumference of my hoop.
So do I glue in the 54" then cut another small one to fit the remaining space?

I.e. are ALL wraps 54" long at the longest ?

On the precision site they sell wrap and the length for everything is 54"

So any bass drum 18" and over you have to have two strips right?

I glue in the extra strip and when I reassemble that part of the hoop is the part on the floor...correct?

Or do I cut so I have two = strips of
About 28" each (circumference is 59 1/4" give or take)?

Last edited:

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Correct. Cut so seams end up under a tension rod and on the bottom of the hoop...will never be seen.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wait.
I have 3 strips which are each 54" long.

I need 4 strips.
So since Im..really really bad at math.
What should the lengths of my strips be?

The circumference of the outside of my hoop is 59 1/8"

ThomasL

Reaction score
If the drum has 8 lugs per side, you could for example put the seams under the two bottom claws on each side. Then you would cut down two of the strips to 7/8 of the circumference and cut two shorter ones from the third.

For doing the math, I'd recommend using the SI system of units and decimal numbers ;-)

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I glued a long strip and then fill in the remaining with a short piece. It will be on bottom and not show anyway. You will have inlay left over.

If you want to end under a claw, tape one end and then mark the inlay where it come under another claw. Fill in the open space with a cut strip. No need to measure, just fit them to you shell.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If the drum has 8 lugs per side, you could for example put the seams under the two bottom claws on each side. Then you would cut down two of the strips to 7/8 of the circumference and cut two shorter ones from the third.

For doing the math, I'd recommend using the SI system of units and decimal numbers ;-)
Wow. Now Im totally confused

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I glued a long strip and then fill in the remaining with a short piece. It will be on bottom and not show anyway. You will have inlay left over.

If you want to end under a claw, tape one end and then mark the inlay where it come under another claw. Fill in the open space with a cut strip. No need to measure, just fit them to you shell.
I think I might be able to make it so the ends are underneath the rods..so no one will see.

ThomasL

Reaction score
Wow. Now Im totally confused
Put the hoop on the drum without a head so that it sits on the lug inserts. Wrap a strip around the hoop and check how many lug spacings it covers (should be 7). Check for seams and possible ugly spots in the hoop and decide what part you want to have towards the floor. Use a pencil to mark the position of the two lugs where you want to have the seams. Cut the long inlays so they match the pencil marks. Cut two pieces that fills in the the rest from the last one.

It ain't rocket science...

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the end, the big piece will go from like 7pm to 5pm over the top of the hoop. Then you put a short piece down on the bottom to cover the lower part.

Wait.
I have 3 strips which are each 54" long.

I need 4 strips.
So since Im..really really bad at math.
What should the lengths of my strips be?

The circumference of the outside of my hoop is 59 1/8"
The way I've seen it

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You have nothing to be embarrassed about.

I used left-over wmp wrap on an old pearl export 13" power tom, converting it to a floor tom. The wrap was uneven to begin with, was made worse by me trying to straighten it out, and was a little short on the hoop sides. I put it on, drilled holes, and did my best. After asking a few guys on here for help, I did my best straightening the wrap out. It is not perfect, but You can't tell unless you put the drum up to your eyes! It still sounds killer, looks killer, and has been my main converted floor tom for 3 years now.

Advice here is incredible and I can't wait to see your final product.