Emotionally drained after gigs/sessions.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it had a little to do with all those tequila and Jagermeister shots and reefers too, maybe.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Emotional behaviour can be influenced by physical & mental aspects as well. Blood sugar levels can be a huge factor. Fear and anticipation can be others. Get it checked man, no reason to be emotionally drained playing a night.

Ox Han

Reaction score
I've found that when that happens one of three things is true: I dislike the music I just played, I dislike or am uncomfortable with the musicians I just played with, or there was something else about the gig-- bad audience, bad pay, bad staff-- that got under my skin. I've stopped playing music I don't like and I've stopped playing with difficult people and things have improved.
I came here to say pretty much this. No reason why you should be emotionally drained after a gig unless you experienced one of the things Neal mentioned.

Physically drained is a different beast. That's par for the course.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i feel it, but to me it ain't burn out. Playing with the band is one the funnest things I do in life. And I'm energized right after a gig (which is why it takes a while to come back down). But then, the excitement wears off and all that energy is spent, it's like an emotional letdown. Wait I have to go back to WORK now?

I haven't used drugs in decades, but it's a little like getting high. Getting high makes being not high all the more unsavory, and it's emotionally draining. When i quit, there was a period of sadness and feeling emo-drained as i adjusted to regular life without its edges softened for me. After-gig feels like that.
I know this kind of letdown. It comes from being an intense weekend warrior-type musician. I like my day job, but it rarely causes as much of a high as playing (or singing in choir, which is my main "gig" at the moment).
Let's say we rehearse the whole weekend; around 3pm on Sunday, a certain depressive feeling creeps in that it will be over soon, and then it's back to work. Great if music is the only drug you use, only healthy, but you get withdrawal symptoms, too. With playing the drums, it depends on the gig; that's maybe why I don't do as much anymore.

Reaction score
Doesn't matter whether the gig goes good or bad, afterwards I am emotionally drained. Sometimes (this last time) it takes me up to a month to get interested in studying music again. Because of this, I tend to find the infrequent jazz gigs.
Anyone else have this experience?
I guess like in any job, we can hit a wall, there was a time where I was doing 3 gigs in a day oh, there was also a time where I would be recording in the studio in Toronto, and those sessions or sometimes 16 hours, mind you we would leave for meals, but sometimes we would be so excited we would actually eat right on the floor, right at the drum set... That particular artist was just full of new material and I was a band member and it was really exciting... Where the stress was it was all analog. So that can be a little draining, mind you you don't even know it and I was a lot younger at the time... I find it easier now with a digital format because I can go for stuff and I don't have to worry if I miss one little hit, or if the time who's up for a millisecond oh, I know we can fix it and I don't have to do the track all over again.... back in 2012 I was touring Europe doing 35 shows in 2 months, and I really paid attention to my diet, I never drank any alcohol before or during a show... Maybe a glass of wine at dinner but that's about it... And I meditated 30 minutes every single day on the road... I really looking after myself, I really believe that I played at my highest level, and that was my goal... and my stress levels have never been lower oh, and I don't think I've ever been happier... The meditation made the difference... All you do is empty your mind for 30 minutes and do some deep breathing and it's amazing you should try it