Endorsement vs reality?

Tubesox

Reaction score
I recently came across this picture of Marky Ramone (one of my favourite drummers). He’s got an endorsement deal with Ludwig. Looking closer at this picture it appears that he is playing a Yamaha kit with a Ludwig logo’d bass reso head. Anyone ever seen such a thing before?
CF506666-10E3-4179-AB78-1D9D26C44420.jpeg

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carmine Appice ran a Slingerland head on his Ludwig drums. Bud was not happy.

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As mentioned previously, likely a backline where his endorsement brand was not available. Maybe overseas.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Alex Van Halen playing on a music awards ceremony (I can't remember which one) years ago. A camera shot up towards him from below/beside the hi hats and there was a Zildjian logo on the bottom hat. I can't imagine the Paiste marketing people would have been all that thrilled to see that shot

kevinyarger

Reaction score
I'm going with backline kit as well and the reso bass drum head travels in the cymbal case or just on its own(assuming the cymbals are backline). It used to be people would try to cover up the badges with some gaff tape so it's out of sight but that doesn't seem to be the case these days.

Whitten

Reaction score
Often you can't travel with your own drums, especially for one-off tv shows. Often your preferred brand is not available. So you end up playing other brands all the time. There are a small handful of well known cases where a super famous drummer endorsed one brand, while typically played a different brand, especially in the studio - but by and large just about every drummer plays the brand they endorse as often as is practically possible.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't take my eyes off of his right side crash cymbal stand with the boom weight and legs fully spread out.
That's some heavy hitting right there!! But if I had to guess, maybe it was back line kit and they put the head on?
I actually had the chance to open for Marky Ramone and the Intruders so I got to see him play from the side stage. He actually isn't a hard hitter at all, his hi hat hand is insane, all 8ths at quick tempos. Pretty amazing to watch him up close.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have bad news for the O.P.: Hall of Fame NFL Quarterback Joe Montana doesn't always wear Sketchers.

I understand that sending up an "endorsement police" alarm allows some of you to show off your expertise (ie. your memory of having seen a poster or an ad), but on the list of things we should actually spend time being concerned about, this ranks below whether Hot Pockets are really Snoop Dogg's go-to microwaveable snacks.

On top of that, the Ramones haven't been active since 1996 and Marky hasn't released any music since 2008.

Last edited:

paulwells73

Reaction score
For a lot of bands/drummers, the artwork and design on the front bass drum head is an important part of the gig. Marky apparently travels with his own front bass drum head (and sticks and maybe cymbals), and swaps the front bass head on every backline rental kit he encounters, whether it’s a Ludwig or not. I’ve seen other bands do this. Whether the brand of back line drums matches the brand logo on the bass drum head is not likely of much importance to a lot of drummers, and most audience members. Frankly, when I tour, I’m a bit more concerned about getting a good seat on the flight over, or getting a quiet hotel room than the brand of drums that show up from day to day!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Steve Jordan is a Yamaha endorser who you often see playing other brands. Generally these non Yamaha sets are vintage American drums of some sort. Perhaps he has an agreement with Yamaha that allows that as long as he doesn't use a different brand of NEW drums.

Fibes

Reaction score
I have bad news for the O.P.: Hall of Fame NFL Quarterback Joe Montana doesn't always wear Sketchers.

I understand that sending up an "endorsement police" alarm allows some of you to show off your expertise (ie. your memory of having seen a poster or an ad), but on the list of things we should actually spend time being concerned about, this ranks below whether Hot Pockets are really Snoop Dogg's go-to microwaveable snacks.

On top of that, the Ramones haven't been active since 1996 and Marky hasn't released any music since 2008.

"... things we should actually spend time being concerned about..."

Your opinion. Noted.

CigarScott

Reaction score
Steve Jordan is a Yamaha endorser who you often see playing other brands. Generally these non Yamaha sets are vintage American drums of some sort. Perhaps he has an agreement with Yamaha that allows that as long as he doesn't use a different brand of NEW drums.
It would surprise me. It's common with guitarists and bassists. Geddy and Alex from Rush had their own signature instruments but would play a half dozen different brands during a live show.

Most drummers have countless snare drums, most aren't from their endorsement company.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently came across this picture of Marky Ramone (one of my favourite drummers). He’s got an endorsement deal with Ludwig. Looking closer at this picture it appears that he is playing a Yamaha kit with a Ludwig logo’d bass reso head. Anyone ever seen such a thing before? View attachment 492278
Wait! What happened to the Rogers set?

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nope. There’s no agreement. He’s Steve Jordan and he’s going to play what he wants to play and as you said, because they’re typically vintage kits, no one at Yamaha is going to call him on it. Would Yamaha prefer he didn’t play those other kits? You betcha.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It would surprise me. It's common with guitarists and bassists. Geddy and Alex from Rush had their own signature instruments but would play a half dozen different brands during a live show.

Most drummers have countless snare drums, most aren't from their endorsement company.
Guitar endorsements are generally non-exclusive, unlike drum endorsements, which are always exclusive on paper.