Endorsement vs reality?

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any insight on how that difference came to be accepted practice or why it continues today?
It's long been accepted by guitar companies that guitarists need different guitars for different sounds and situations in a live gig or recording session. You'll see guitarists switch from a Strat to a Les Paul to a Martin acoustic. A guitarist who endorses Fender might also play a Gibson, but not endorse it. And it depends on the individual. And it doesn't mean he/she receives guitars FOC from Fender. Drum endorsements have always been exclusive since the beginning and for the most part, are probably more generous to the artist/drummer. There's leeway to use other brands of hardware, pedals etc and it's loosened up to where many drummers can openly use another brand of snare drum.

Last edited:

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
depends on where you are and the support you get. Can I get Sonor in S. Africa? No, use a Pearl kit. Same with cymbals...if your endorsement deal cannot support you with equipment as you tour, feel free to use whats available.

F

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of the reasons I ended up owning several Yamaha kits is because when I was playing overseas or fly-outs on the East Coast/Midwest, it was always the kit that I could get as backline at the venue or a guaranteed rental kit to take with me in the van. Every rental or rehearsal place had them, they were very consistent, and I loved the hardware. Parts were plentiful and inexpensive.

Back then I owned kits from several different brands including Remo, Ludwig, and Tama. I remember asking for a MasterTouch as backline and the rental company was like, "Master what?" It wasn't even easy to get an Artstar or Granstar as supplied backline.

So, after playing Yamaha backline several times, I figured I would just streamline my collection to one brand. Have I played better sounding drums from other brands? Sure. But consistency and availability was important to me back then, and Yamaha delivered it.